RJ Spagnols Cru Select Limited Edition Chilean Malbec

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wade E

Premium
Reaction score
I strolled into my local wine store to pick up 2 multi fit bungs since I screwed up when I ordered from George and bought the huge 1 which I guess would fit a barrel or a massive carboy. I spotted a few Cru select kits and took a peak and she has a few limited edition kits left. I picked up the Cru select Malbec which is a 16 liter kit for $62.00. Now I really have to get my racks finished as I have also have a Mosti All juice Johan. Reisling from George and 2 Choc Rasp Port kits coming soon and all my carboys are full. 3 of them have been bulk aging for about 4 months so those will have to get bottled to make room.

I might have to get myself a few more 6 gal carboys as I am in a jam now with only 4 empties and 2 kits that came in today and 4 MM Fresh Juices on order.
smiley6.gif

Always need to keep 1 empty to rack into......who would have thought thateleven 6 gal carboys wouldn't be enough!
smiley4.gif

Wade, you found the Malbec????? OMG, that is the one RQ that is going to steal the show next year. Everyone says the Bush Vine Grenache will, but when I tasted my Malbec at last racking, I was blown away!!!

There are stores here that have been asking around to find *any* stock anywhere. You got a mighty fine deal there on that kit, and if I knew how good that Malbec would be, I would have gotten 4 of them.

Dean, she had 1 of these and about 4 unoaked Chard's. Thanks for that info as Ill make sure this kit gets special attention.
26_8_7.gif

I will be bottling the unoaked Chardonnay this weekend and I can tell you this juice had both an incredible aroma and flavor when I made it up.
smiley20.gif

It's probably time to bottle mine as well. I've been procrastinating again. At least that's a good thing when it comes to wine.

Through it all together and man did it smell good. I actually chewed on a few pcs. of that heavy Hungarian Oak and that even tastes great.
Starting Sg was 1.100@76* which adjusted is 1.102. Nice and high as the suggested SG was 1.074- 1.110 so that puts me at the high end where I wanted to be for a kit like this.
1st pic is 1 gallon of water with Bentonite stirred in and all the juice and abot 3/4 of a gallon to top up to 6 gallons. 2nd pic is the 2 packs of oak(1 is a sachet of dust or ground heavt oak and the second is Heavy Hungarian oak chips that you just stir in). 3rd is everything all stirred in.
20070906_154951_Must.jpg

Wade I like the looks of the new batch, but I must tell you- I think you are getting stressed out by trying to quit smoking. You are in hyperdrive doing things and have resorted to chewing on wood now! Also a new type of snuff I guess- snorting the oak dust too!
smiley2.gif
smiley3.gif
smiley24.gif
Edited by: appleman

smiley1.gif

smiley17.gif

smiley2.gif

smiley35.gif

keep chewing on the h. oak wade - tastes better than tabacco and lingers longer - - - - -

one day at a time

it's worth the journey -

food and WINE will (promise) taste better!!

stay the course -

I'm roottin for ya!!!

rrawhide

Will be firing up the Mosti All juice Johan. Riesling tomorrow and then get some more racks done this weekend, hopefully at least 2 more and that will get all my wine off the floor in our basement and where it belongs!
23_11_59.gif

Edited by: wade

Wade, I could be wrong from the pics, but that white package of oak dust is called the "Tea bag" of oak that RJS uses. You don't have to open that up, you just place the whole bag in like that and it extracts the oak goodness from it. The big bag of chips of course did have to be added directly.

Dean that tea bag is in there whole just burried under the foam from stirring it up before adding the yeast, not that it would matter much at this point with all that oak shavings in there.

Latest posts

Back