RASPBERRY HELP!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmorosco

Reaction score
Need Help !! I have followed the directions to a T on the label but it does not look like fermentation has started at all with my Vinters Raspberry??

SG 1.092 when I started I used Lalvin 1116 and nothing .....The only thing is the primary is setting at 62 degrees so I have moved it upstairs this morning....

EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES:

· Primary fermenter, a minimum of 2 gallons larger than batch size
· Secondary fermenter, 3 or 5 gallon carboy, depending on batch size
· Fermentation locks and stopper if needed
· Nylon straining bag of size sufficient to hold fruit
· Very fine mesh cloth for fermenter cover
· Siphon/racking equipment
· Hydrometer and testing jar
· Bottles, corks and corking device
· Other useful items include cleaning brushes, funnels, plastic spoon or paddle and thermometer

TYPE OF SUGAR TO USE:

What type of sugar you should use is a matter of taste. Many wine makers use white cane table sugar. Some prefer the taste of corn sugar and say that the difference can be noted in the finished product. Corn Sugar produces a cleaner flavor profile during fermentation and is less sweet than cane sugar pound for pound. If you prefer to use corn sugar be aware that you may need to adjust your usage upward to achieve the desired level of sweetness. Wine conditioner, which is a sugar solution containing a yeast inhibitor can also be added after fermentation is complete to adjust sweetness.

WINEMAKING PROCESS:

The following process is to be used in conjunction with the recipes that appear on each can of Vintner's Harvest products. The recipes may vary slightly with each product.

1. <LI>Sanitize all equipment and utensils with bisulphite solution.
    (See note at end of directions for making a bisulphite solution).
    <LI>Put straining bag in fermenter, add fruit and tie off bag. Except Apple and Elderberry that have no fruit pieces.
    <LI>Add all ingredients as directed on can label, excluding those with an "*” which will be added later. Add solution of sodium bisulphite (not powder form) and stir well to make sure sugar is dissolved.
    <LI>Cover with a damp cloth or fine mesh fabric and let sit over night to allow So2 to be released.
    <LI>Sprinkle yeast on top of must. Temperature should be between 70-80° F.
    <LI>Next day, gently stir top half of "must" mindful not to stir sediment at bottom. Repeat daily until specific gravity lowers to 1.040 (4 or 5 days).
    <LI>When gravity reads 1.040, remove bag of fruit. Press and strain juice from pulp and discard pulp. Rack "must" into secondary vessel, top up with water to minimize air space. Attach fermentation lock.
    <LI>Rack wine again (3 to 4 weeks) when gravity reads 1.010 to 1.000. Add 1 tsp. bisulphite solution per gallon of must.*
    <LI>After wine is clear (2 or 3 months) stabilize with potassium sorbate to prevent renewed fermentation, sweeten to taste if too dry. Enhance flavor and aroma with natural fruit flavor at this time if desired. Bottle.
    <LI>Wine can be consumed at this point but will benefit with aging of 6 months to one year. </LI>

How long ago did you pitch yeast? Putting it in warmer climate will kick it off. You really need to goof the cleanliness, or add finishers too soon to keep the yeast from starting up. I have a heating pad(normally for aching back and muscles) that I hang on the bucket and carboy when it gets too chilly. I just use the low setting and lett ride. Some folks buy the brew belt. That pretty much works on the larger containers.

I agree specially for starting off. Getting the yeast going I always
keep temp around 72* or a little warmer. I say get this warm by putting
a light right near it or getting it close to some kind of heat source,
maybe radiator. Once its going good you can put it back. Did you add
any nutrient and or energizer to it. Even when it does not have it in
the ingredients I add it because it alwys work well. Warm it up!

Yeah, I think you will be okay. I have had to put a heating pad under the bucket and wrap a blanket around it too. But I live in a colder climate (winter months) and keep my house chilly.

Did you add any sorbate or camden tabs?

How did you sanitize? Did you dry the bucket out all the way, or leave some sanitizer in there?

Also, you may want to look at the date on your wine kit.

Though, from reading the temp it was at, by the time you read this post you will see little bubbles coming from it soon (if it is warmer now).

Keep us posted.

If it makes you fell better, pop the lid and give it a listen. It might be going real lightly. For my small batches, i don't attach a lid to the primary. I attach a lint free towel held in place by a large rubberband. It just let it breath. Some fruits are slow anyways. I don't know if razz is a slow burner, but blueberry takes it's sweet time.

I have to agree with the temp being the problem, 62 degrees is just a little too cool to get the yeast going. Number 5 on your list even says 70-80 degrees. Once you got it upstairs and the temp comes up, you should be good to go. I opened a black raspberry/strawberry last night. It is a little over a year old now and is really starting to come around. Don't rush this type of wine and everything will be fine...

I ordered one off of ebay..
smiley2.gif

We have success this morning!! We are perculating!!Thanks for the help everyone!!
smiley2.gif

Congratulations!

Remember the name of the game is patience!

I suffer from a lack there of! =)

Latest posts

Back