Grapes are pressed but juice still bubbling

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DirtyJersey

Junior
Reaction score
Quick question.

I got 5 types of grapes. merlo, cab Sav, Cab Franc, zin, and petit sirah.

All were sulfited to kill wild yeast. All were yeasted at same time about two days after. I let them all ferment about 9 days before pressing. I saw no activity and assumed primary fermentation was done. I am fairly loose with my assumptions and did not measure sugars when I started or ended. probably should have. It is now pressed and in carboys for aging, but the merlo and Cab fran are pink (looks like juice) and are bubbling rapidly.

Is this a secondary fermentation? and is it normal? I dont remember seeing this before and my other wines are not doing this?

Do I let it play out?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW I did not sulfite after pressing

Quick question.

I got 5 types of grapes. merlo, cab Sav, Cab Franc, zin, and petit sirah.

All were sulfited to kill wild yeast. All were yeasted at same time about two days after. I let them all ferment about 9 days before pressing. I saw no activity and assumed primary fermentation was done. I am fairly loose with my assumptions and did not measure sugars when I started or ended. probably should have. It is now pressed and in carboys for aging, but the merlo and Cab fran are pink (looks like juice) and are bubbling rapidly.

Is this a secondary fermentation? and is it normal? I dont remember seeing this before and my other wines are not doing this?

Do I let it play out?

Thanks for any advice.

BTW I did not sulfite after pressing

Sounds like those two are simply not finished fermentation. The yeast activity is keeping lots of sediment suspended in your wine, making them appear to be a different color. Once fermentation is over, the solids will drop out, and the wine will turn dark in the carboy.

Invest in a hydrometer so you can press at the appropriate time, based on fermentation progress, and not time.

My wine usually takes a nap for a few hours, up to maybe half a day after pressing. Then it seems to start going again.

As John said, get a hydrometer so you can be certain the wine is dry.

My wine usually takes a nap for a few hours, up to maybe half a day after pressing. Then it seems to start going again.

As John said, get a hydrometer so you can be certain the wine is dry.

Did you sulfite after pressing? My wine is also bubbling after pressing and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

Did you sulfite after pressing? My wine is also bubbling after pressing and I'm trying to figure out what to do with it.

I don't normally, because I'm doing MLF. I'm usually pressing around or just under 1.000 SG. But sometimes, life dictates that I'm a little higher than that. 1.010 at a minimum though.

Let it go, get a hydrometer. If its still bubbling, it is either still fermenting or off gassing. Either way, make sure you're topped up, then measure SG to confirm where you are.

Latest posts

Back