Should I Complain?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Recently got my quarterly shipment from Columbia Crest. Looking through the wine fridge earlier, I noticed some minor 'oozing' from the top of the 2014 Cab. I took the foil off to be sure it wasn't just some wine that'd dripped onto the foil. Sure enough, a little wine on top of the cork. Pics below. The wine is harsh. But in a way that I'd say it just isn't close to being ready for consumption. Not sure that the cork has caused any issues. I'd planned to let this sit for a couple years, but opened it after I saw the cork. Should I complain? Suck it up?

1D13A45E-C002-4BE9-A996-77E5A172F4FD.jpg

82809C96-E385-404F-99E2-E620831B1DC5.jpg

Last edited:
I'd at least say something. It might be a problem they are aware of and will take care of it. Don't know until you ask

I've had that happen to me for two reasons. One, I over filled the bottle. Two, my corker was putting a crease in the cork, which the cork would quickly seal, but enough to where some wine came out and stained the top of the cork. By the look of the cork, it doesn't look like there is a path to the wine itself, so the issue I would surmise is cosmetic. Not something you want to see, but I don't think it has compromised the wine, in my opinion.

I have seen that on occasion with a few commercial bottles as well as a few of my own bottles. Did not seem to affect the wine in any way. If you open a bottle and it is corked or off in any way call CC and they will correct it without any questions. When they shipped out wine that sat in a truck for a week in Santa Fe due to a forest fire close to me they said just refuse to sign for it and send it back and they sent out a new shipment no questions asked.

So how was the wine?

So how was the wine?

Rough. Way too early to be opened. Honestly, I don't think it should be released yet.

This was the 2014 Wautoma Springs Cab. I have the 2013 from an earlier shipment, but plan to let that sit for a while.

Last edited:
Released and drunk are two different things. Now you know why I wait 4-5 years (cellar time) on some of my big Cabs. That and the fact that I have about 400 bottles laying down of just commercial wine so no hurry on most if not all of them.

Among the reason listed by the others, I have also seen that happen when a wine gets too warm (perhaps during shipping).

I would definitely complain, but in the nicest possible way. Not so much that you get a new bottle, but want the winery to know that they might have a potential problem.

I would think that if they have any pride, they would send you a new bottle.

I would definitely complain, but in the nicest possible way. Not so much that you get a new bottle, but want the winery to know that they might have a potential problem.

I agree. Raise the issue, but be nice. The winery should definitely know about this, so if it is a common issue, they can take corrective action.

@balatonwine - how did your pressing go my Magyar friend????

It went very well.

But my wife is the true Magyar. I am more the ethnic Német+Anglo/Saxon USA passport holder. :h

Will post photos, once my wife gives them to me (and what I can --- Hungarian law forbids posting photos of people without their express permission).

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back