Adding Zinc in Winemaking

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cavemanugg

Junior
Reaction score
Does anyone have any thoughts on adding Zinc to yeast nutrient for winemaking? I have read that it boosts beer yeast fermentation but cannot find any information for wine. In beer it would appear that up to 6mg will supercharge fermentation but more than 6mg has the reverse effect and in fact fermentation will be inhibited.

Looking forward to receiving comments.

I use a Go-Ferm, Ferm-K in my ferment process, which is fairly common with the commercial winemakers I know. Not sure if any of the products contain zinc.

I guess I have a problem understanding what "boost fermentation" means. proper nutrients for the yeast will result in multiplication of yeast cells to the billions and they gobble up the food as fast as possible. is the intent to ferment in one day?

I have heard Ferm K is a good nutrient. I don't think it contains Zinc but I will check. Thanks.

A good complex yeast nutrient such as Fermaid K or Superfood are proprietary blends that probably contain Zinc due to the "vitamins and minerals" that are added. Most of these companies don't post a full analysis because the blends are proprietary.

Latest posts

Back