Defrosting with Sous Vide?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boatboy24

No longer a newbie, but still clueless.
Reaction score
Got home and wanted steak. Have some NY Strip in the freezer, but obviously a frozen steak doesn't do much good at this hour. I often SV the steak anyway, so I figured why not just throw the frozen hunk of beef straight into the bath? It was already vac sealed and ready to go. It'll be in a little over 90 minutes. Is this dangerous? Who knows. If I'm not around tomorrow, you'll know why. :)

. If I'm not around tomorrow, you'll know why. :)

Can you put me in your will for your wine tonight, just in case?

I grill all kinds of frozen food, including burgers, straight from the freezer. Usually have to add a minute or two to the cooking time. I can't imagine why you couldn't do it with a steak, might be a good reason, but good reasoning has never stopped me before. :h

Got home and wanted steak. Have some NY Strip in the freezer, but obviously a frozen steak doesn't do much good at this hour. I often SV the steak anyway, so I figured why not just throw the frozen hunk of beef straight into the bath? It was already vac sealed and ready to go. It'll be in a little over 90 minutes. Is this dangerous? Who knows. If I'm not around tomorrow, you'll know why. :)

No, it is not dangerous: http://www.douglasbaldwin.com/sous-vide.html

Can you put me in your will for your wine tonight, just in case?

I grill all kinds of frozen food, including burgers, straight from the freezer. Usually have to add a minute or two to the cooking time. I can't imagine why you couldn't do it with a steak, might be a good reason, but good reasoning has never stopped me before. :h

Yep, now that I think about it, I've thrown many a frozen pork butt onto the smoker with no ill effects aside from a longer cook time.

Latest posts

Back