Cherry wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Scooter68
Since those Vintner's Harvest come both in sweet and tart cherry, I was wondering if getting the sweet cherry puree container instead of the tart cherry....to mix it up...:ft

And I guess 2 containers (49oz each) should do it to combine with the 10lbs of tart cherry in the freezer.

@Scooter68
Since those Vintner's Harvest come both in sweet and tart cherry, I was wondering if getting the sweet cherry puree container instead of the tart cherry....to mix it up...:ft

And I guess 2 containers (49oz each) should do it to combine with the 10lbs of tart cherry in the freezer.

I would give it a go, watch as you are adding and working on the must. Shoot for a pH of 3.4 and a TA between 5 and 6 g/L . SG around 1.085, if the TA is a little high, or if you just want to soften it a little use 71b-1122.

Keep us informed!

Haven't made any Cherry Wine yet. Closest thing was my "Marinated" Montmorency Cherries. 2 cups of Montmorencies (Tart) in a 2 cups of Vodka. Mashed and mascerated for 6 weeks. WOAH! Only a shot glass at a time for me. :se

I would give it a go, watch as you are adding and working on the must. Shoot for a pH of 3.4 and a TA between 5 and 6 g/L . SG around 1.085, if the TA is a little high, or if you just want to soften it a little use 71b-1122.

Keep us informed!

@geek That TA was for a dry wine most folks like to sweeten fruit wines a little. If your planning on sweeting then total acidity would be 6.5 to 8.g/L.

So if you were taking it to like 1.005 to 1.010 backsweeting you might like the total acidity to be more like 7 to 8 g/L.

@Scooter68

Not sure where you find a Vintner's Harvest Tart cherry variety. Both the puree and the fruit bases I found on their site are sweet cherry. Lambert is a sweet variety (Type in their Fruit Base) and the other does not say which variety but the label says Sweet Cherry Puree. WHOOPS! Just found their Tart Cherry Puree - not listed on many sites so I had to actually search carefully to find it. My apologies.

I'm still looking at the options for this. Not sure I want to dive into a 5 gallon batch at the prices for Cherries or the Cherry concentrates. Did find one for the brave souls Shoreline Fruit has 68 Brix concentrate for $44.00 a gallon but they have 2 pail minimum and that's 10 Gallons - $440.00 plus shipping.

Last edited:
I just bought 2 cans of this specific sweet cherry puree at LP:

http://labelpeelers.com/vintners-harvest-sweet-cherry-puree-49-oz/

Will mix with my 10lbs I got in the freezer and will use Montrachet red star yeast. Let's see what/how this turns out....:pee

Will water to 5 1/2 gallons and based on SG I will take it from there. The goal is 5gal of wine.

The last time, I made this, I used Vintners Harvest 96oz Fruit base, it had Lambert cherries. This had actual cherries and juice. The instructions say you can make a three or five gallon batch. Instead use 2 cans and make a 5 gallon batch, even add extra cherries if you like, it will make a better wine.

I used the puree once, and didn't care as much for it, seems like I made a gallon. Didn't use cherries either, that may have been the reason, just can't remember now.. Actually fresh fruit is better, with little to no water.

The newer plastic containers(that my LHBS started carring) are 128oz, you simlpy add water to these. These fruit bases(Vintners Best a different company) will have low pH's like the Raspberry I just checked had a 3.01 pH and 8.4 g/L TA. My wife doesn't like dry wine, but said "the raspberry's not that bad."

The Black Currant had a 3.15 pH and a 8.7 g/L TA. These are a year old, and will probably age quite a few years if desired. I don't sweeten these and everyone loves them.

You may like your cherry wine with a lower pH than what I suggested in a earlier post. If so while it's aging in the carboy you could do a couple of bench tests with citric and malic acid and dial it in.

1.0 g/L addition of Citric acid will increase the TA by about 1.17 g/L and will decrease the pH by 0.08 pH units.

1.0 g/L addition of Malic acid will increase the TA by about 1.12 g/L and will decrease the pH by 0.08 pH units.

When you find the sweet spot, :HB , add it to the carboy, sit it in a cold dark corner, let it age a bit and enjoy the fruit of your labor.

Last edited:
Well, I'm going to start a batch of Tart Cherry Wine as soon as it warms up a bit. Just ordered 4 x 16 oz bottles of Tart Cherry Juice concentrate. Per their instructions 1 oz = 2 cups of cherries so that would translate into about 16 lbs of cherries in a single bottle of concentrate. WOW! So I guess being liberal at 10 lbs per gallon 4 bottles should ??? make 6 gallons of wine? I recently purchase 3 x 3 gallon carboys so I can split this into 2 x 3 gallon batches to let me check out the concentration before all is invested in one batch. I'm a little wary of buying into the concentration as well so that's my reason for splitting into 2 batches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Just ordered and I've go about 2 weeks before it arrives (Cheap free slow shipping) so there's no big rush.

Oh yeah price was $9.95 / 16 oz which is a less than any other sources I've found.

Well, I'm going to start a batch of Tart Cherry Wine as soon as it warms up a bit. Just ordered 4 x 16 oz bottles of Tart Cherry Juice concentrate. Per their instructions 1 oz = 2 cups of cherries so that would translate into about 16 lbs of cherries in a single bottle of concentrate. WOW! So I guess being liberal at 10 lbs per gallon 4 bottles should ??? make 6 gallons of wine? I recently purchase 3 x 3 gallon carboys so I can split this into 2 x 3 gallon batches to let me check out the concentration before all is invested in one batch. I'm a little wary of buying into the concentration as well so that's my reason for splitting into 2 batches.

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this. Just ordered and I've go about 2 weeks before it arrives (Cheap free slow shipping) so there's no big rush.

Oh yeah price was $9.95 / 16 oz which is a less than any other sources I've found.

@Scooter68 Like this or similar?
http://www.puritan.com/black-cherry...ntrate&gclid=CPKW4ermtdICFVgkgQodutAKxw&mvc=1

Last edited:

Where did you order from?

Here's the advertisment - ordered just before I posted here and just got word it has shipped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO9PHB6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The Puritan you posted is a black cherry. I saw a lot of prices from $12.xx and up so this was a good bit lower. Also checked out the VH Tart Cherry Puree (49 oz) and that's a 68 Brix which is a little about a 1-3 concentration so that would yield little over a gallon per can where this should be closer to 1.5 gallons per bottle for a lot less, even if I have to add in sugar I'm still better off than the lowest price for the VH I found at about $19.00 / can plus shipping. (And the puree is going to throw a lot of lees too.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Started a Vintners best and so far the flavor is good. One thing to remember looking at labels is the list order by volumes max to min but they do not list how concentrated the concentrates are. All you can really go by is it is a blend of juices and the final taste.

Started a Vintners best and so far the flavor is good. One thing to remember looking at labels is the list order by volumes max to min but they do not list how concentrated the concentrates are. All you can really go by is it is a blend of juices and the final taste.

I agree - final taste is what matters most. I just opened a bottle of my second batch of blackberry wine. This second one was back-sweetened with just sugar. The first batch was back-sweetened with a little White Grape Juice and sugar and the aroma addition of the White Grape Juice is great. The flavor is about the same for both but the aroma has the tongue anticipating the taste before it hits the palate.

I agree - final taste is what matters most. I just opened a bottle of my second batch of blackberry wine. This second one was back-sweetened with just sugar. The first batch was back-sweetened with a little White Grape Juice and sugar and the aroma addition of the White Grape Juice is great. The flavor is about the same for both but the aroma has the tongue anticipating the taste before it hits the palate.

@Scooter68 Is the White Grape Juice the frozen (like welchs) or in the container off the shelf?

Last edited:
I can remember as a small boy, my Dad picking wild black cherries and maybe making a small batch of wine from them.

I never hear of this nowdays, I don't even know of any local wild black cherry trees.

Here's the advertisment - ordered just before I posted here and just got word it has shipped: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01CO9PHB6/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

The Puritan you posted is a black cherry. I saw a lot of prices from $12.xx and up so this was a good bit lower. Also checked out the VH Tart Cherry Puree (49 oz) and that's a 68 Brix which is a little about a 1-3 concentration so that would yield little over a gallon per can where this should be closer to 1.5 gallons per bottle for a lot less, even if I have to add in sugar I'm still better off than the lowest price for the VH I found at about $19.00 / can plus shipping. (And the puree is going to throw a lot of lees too.)

Well now I all I can think about is cherry wine. lol. I ordered the Puritan black cherry concentrate. This really sounds like a interesting and fun experiment. Maybe we can swap out some and share thoughts.?

Last edited by a moderator:
Well now I all I can think about is cherry wine. lol. I ordered the Puritan black cherry concentrate. This really sounds like a interesting and fun experiment. Maybe we can swap out some and share thoughts.?

He's making cherry wine, she's making cherry wine, you're making cherry wine, I'm making cherry wine. We'll all make cherry wine, it will be total cherry wine anarchy! :db

He's making cherry wine, she's making cherry wine, you're making cherry wine, I'm making cherry wine. We'll all make cherry wine, it will be total cherry wine anarchy! :db

Are you making Cherry wine?

Latest posts

Back