Been here a month or two...El dorado, AR

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whitehrs

Junior Member - the new guy.. I'm learning, and ex
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm from South Central Arkansas, El Dorado. Not El Dorado, it's "L-door-A-doe".
I've made 7 1 gallon batches. I'm learning, and we learn from mistakes. If there is anyone close, or a club close I could check out it would be great.

Welcome whitehrs! Love your tutorial on how to pronounce your town. Easy to get right that way. Tell us what you have made so far.

Pam in cinti

Welcome whitehrs! Love your tutorial on how to pronounce your town. Easy to get right that way. Tell us what you have made so far.

Pam in cinti

Pam, I started with a white flesh peach batch. Huge learning experience. when it comes to peach, go twice as much fruit, and do not process it..
then I did a Peach Mango from 100% juice. Then there was a WE Pinot Noir kit. Then there was two sweet malted mead. One with some German malted wheat. and the other with some German pilsner malt about 70% of the sugars come from the honey so those were mead, and one could argue they were braggots. Then I did a Joe's ancient Mead, and substituted a banana instead of raisons for nutrient.. It is the best of the three mead.. Wait I did a blueberry from fruit that is on it's second rack. Lastly, I went through DangerDave's Dragon blood recipe, and made it a 1.5-ish gallon and used the Welch's Berry Blend concentrate, Cotes Blancs yeast, no energizer just nutrient. it is clearing very quickly. it was 13 days in the primary, and it's been 1 week in the secondary.. Tasting on the the primary to secondary rack, I'd say I'll decrease the real lemon juice next time.it is a bit tart. I figure it will mellow, and I'll back sweeten it a little. It went from original SG of 1.078, to 0.995 in 5 days, I checked and degassed it everyday at same sg: 0.995 day 5, 6, 7, 8... It quit. I used a 1/4 tsp sorbate and campden tablet day 8. day 9 added a 1/3 cup sugar. it was 1.005. I continued to check it and degass it everyday til 13 without change.. so I put it in the glass 1 gallon carboy, and a re-purposed Carlo Rossi 1.5 ltr jug. it is clearing in my closest at 72 degrees. with the rest of it.. wait that is 8 1 gallon-ish batches..
I plan to go to 5, 6.5 or 7 gallon batches.. I think I have read and learned enough to try a couple whites (sweet of course) from base or wine concentrate. It would be great if someone had a muscato recipe they would share. I know I promised a friend from Germany that I would make a dry Red for her. My wife and I are going to visit in 2018 and I am going to try an take her a bottle or two.. Not sure how I'll make that happen but I have time.. I also, have a couple bushels of wild mucadines (purple and white) come for free when they are ripe. That I plan to try a couple gallons from a red (maybe a port), and a sweet white. I have a 12 by 12 basement that I have to finish in and make my wine kitchen, and cellar. So there ya go.. That's me. When I decide to learn something, I over do it... That's me. When I decided to build vintage style tube guitar amps for a hobby to learn.. I wound up with Coley Reed, guitarist for the 357s (Shooter Jennings' band) playing one. I built two of them for a friend of mine that played a short time with Molly Hatchet.. They were based on a 59' tweed deluxe but doubled the power. I called them the 38D, and 38 DD . anyway, that is what I do. I learning is my hobby, and I'm sure this will keep me busy for a while..

I know it was a long post but I hope it was ok..

Whitehrs, that was a great post! I am truly impressed by all the good stuff you have made so far. And I love my reused Carlo Rossi bottles. Keep my own private stock in them while other stuff ages. I have not yet done too much with peaches since I don't have access to huge quantities, but I use mango a lot since it is available in fruit juice form at a reasonable price. Another staple for me is paw paws. I put in a couple trees 20 years back and now they churn out so much fruit I make fun blends like putting them in a chardonnay juice bucket and calling it Paw Paw Donnez!

Equally impressed by your guitar work. I cannot imagine the skillset and patience that required, but it seems your work was well appreciated by folks with credentials to know the best. congrats!

Not sure if you can take wine overseas. Maybe someone here has experience and can clue you in to any tricks that might make it possible. Sadly I'm betting that nothing would make it seem safe enough to be allowed on a plane.

Pam in cinti

Whitehrs, that was a great post! I am truly impressed by all the good stuff you have made so far. And I love my reused Carlo Rossi bottles. Keep my own private stock in them while other stuff ages. I have not yet done too much with peaches since I don't have access to huge quantities, but I use mango a lot since it is available in fruit juice form at a reasonable price. Another staple for me is paw paws. I put in a couple trees 20 years back and now they churn out so much fruit I make fun blends like putting them in a chardonnay juice bucket and calling it Paw Paw Donnez!

Equally impressed by your guitar work. I cannot imagine the skillset and patience that required, but it seems your work was well appreciated by folks with credentials to know the best. congrats!

Not sure if you can take wine overseas. Maybe someone here has experience and can clue you in to any tricks that might make it possible. Sadly I'm betting that nothing would make it seem safe enough to be allowed on a plane.

Pam in cinti

Thank you, and I look forward to observing more of your sharing of knowledge.

Latest posts

Back