New Michigan Winemaker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HeiZenBerg

Reaction score
I've been lurking for a few months now, and decided it was time to join. I'm getting ready to start my first kit : Winexpert Vintners Reserve Riesling. Planning to bulk age for 3 months, then bottle age with the 1st sampling around Christmas. Looking forward to chatting with all in the forums!

Welcome to the forum!

IMHO, 2 months bulk aging and 2 months bottle aging would be a generous amount of time for 10L kits. I've read and heard and believe that they're designed to be early drinkers.

Thanks Bill and John! Kit instructions do say 4 months aging time before sampling a bottle ( which I do intend to do )... Just wanted to allow myself some "rookie room", as I want to gift some of this batch. If all goes well, I will be starting another ferment while this one is aging (My friends are already requesting a semi sweet red for the next batch...lol) Hoping to start things up this weekend, time permitting!

Thanks Bill and John! Kit instructions do say 4 months aging time before sampling a bottle ( which I do intend to do )... Just wanted to allow myself some "rookie room", as I want to gift some of this batch. If all goes well, I will be starting another ferment while this one is aging (My friends are already requesting a semi sweet red for the next batch...lol) Hoping to start things up this weekend, time permitting!

Good strategy. Kit reds, in general, both from what I've learned on this forum and from my personal experience do seem to benefit more than whites from additional aging.

BTW, because of a move from CT to PA last year I'm for the second time in the process of building up my wine inventory to allow me to add some aging to my collection. Both when I first started and again now if after the move it appears to take about a year to get the pipe line full.

Thanks All! Sanitizing equipment now, and, of course, unexpected company...lol. still hoping to get it going tonight...

Starting SG 1.090, Must temp 74F, Yeast added. I may be sorry I started this, I may become an addict :)

Latest posts

Back