New Wine Room

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about a beverage cooler that opens to both the wine room and kitchen? :HB
smilie.gif

I know you! You're the guy that likes spending other people's money!!:h:h

How about a beverage cooler that opens to both the wine room and kitchen? :HB
smilie.gif

Should be one-way the other way!! Also how about a pass-through (bottle size) to the kitchen

Both very interesting ideas, still leaning to the 8' high full wall of carboy, barrel and bottle storage, that functionality is very badly needed. A small door which opens to the kitchen with a shelf for a few bottles might be cool and take up just a little space.

All in all, sufficient bottle, bulk carboy and barrel storage at 55 - 60 degrees is my number one priority. Number two is being able to do all of my winemaking functions (racking, cleaning, etc.) and store all of my equipment in there. Those two priorities gobble up my 4 walls. Added benefit is ability to ferment at lower temps for whites if desired, but will still ferment reds in the house at room temps.

I did mention at dinner last night perhaps having a recliner and TV in there, which drew a questionable scowl from my mate, I'll have to approach that a bit more diplomatically....................

I did mention at dinner last night perhaps having a recliner and TV in there, which drew a questionable scowl from my mate, I'll have to approach that a bit more diplomatically....................

I know you have the talent, just make a fold out recliner from the wall (like the old fold out beds), that when not in use looks like a bare wall. That would be worth part of the space, you could still have shelves higher up. But the empty wall might be a dead giveaway and she'd find it.

I hid some wine once and she found it within a day or two. I think she has surveillance cameras hidden down here in the basement. Those better halves are sometimes better than we give them credit.

I did mention at dinner last night perhaps having a recliner and TV in there, which drew a questionable scowl from my mate, I'll have to approach that a bit more diplomatically....................[/QUOTE]

Well while you are at it, instead of a bottle pass thru to the kitchen, maybe a plate pass thru to the winery. Try "We have certain winemaking processes that have to be followed without interuption. This is usually quality control. So if I can get a plate full of dinner, I can keep the winemaking process going and have the best wines possible." Btw, if you try this, let us know how it works out. LOL, Arne.

Well while you are at it, instead of a bottle pass thru to the kitchen, maybe a plate pass thru to the winery. Try "We have certain winemaking processes that have to be followed without interuption. This is usually quality control. So if I can get a plate full of dinner, I can keep the winemaking process going and have the best wines possible." Btw, if you try this, let us know how it works out. LOL, Arne.[/QUOTE]

LOL, surely Arne, you don't take me for fool!! Not to mention, Mrs. JohnD is also an accomplished attorney. There are many endeavors I'm willing to undertake, but I'm quite certain the counselor would see straight through such a charade. I suspect, because of the vast wine selection that I maintain as a result of this "hobby", that she may let it pass, but I don't really want to eat dinner alone in the cold. I'd end up sleeping alone in the cold too!!

LOL, surely Arne, you don't take me for fool!! Not to mention, Mrs. JohnD is also an accomplished attorney. There are many endeavors I'm willing to undertake, but I'm quite certain the counselor would see straight through such a charade. I suspect, because of the vast wine selection that I maintain as a result of this "hobby", that she may let it pass, but I don't really want to eat dinner alone in the cold. I'd end up sleeping alone in the cold too!![/QUOTE]

Oh well, she would probably want to keep all your wine, too. Gotta love all of our SWMBO's that put up with our winemaking and some of the other stuff we pull. Mine must have the patience of a saint. Been putting up with this stuff for close to 50 years. Good luck with your wineroom. Arne.

Mrs. JohnD is also an accomplished attorney.

Now John, an attorney? Why are you working on anything but wine? If my wife will soon support me as a nurse, an attorney should be overkill!

Edit: now that I though this through for 10 seconds, make sure you duck when you tell her and that there isn't any glass right behind you.

Although it hasn't been that long, it feels like it. Finally have a clear weather window and the construction begins in earnest tomorrow. Should be able to get the room framed, blacked in, and roofed by the weekend. Framers start tomorrow at 7 AM!

image.jpg

Very cool! Why the tarpaper when you're using Tyvek?

Tyvek is what was behind the last of the vinyl siding on my house, that's now the inside of the room. 15# felt on the new exterior wall is in preparation for 3/4" cement plaster on the wall. The felt sheds water but isn't vapor proof. I'm using closed cell spray foam in all of the wine room walls, that's my vapor barrier and protection against condensation and vapor transmission.

Plumbing for the new work sink in the cellar was roughed in last week. Refrigeration equipment arrived today, time to get moving a bit. Tuesday will be the day that the cellar refrigeration unit gets set in the attic and supply / return air ductwork gets roughed in. We'll also be setting a new 2 ton a/c unit in the attic to handle the playroom on top of the garage. We'll also be stubbing out the copper refrigeration lines to the condenser area.

Wednesday we will pour a new concrete equipment pad which the new chiller condenser, the new a/c condenser, and an existing a/c condenser will sit on.

Thursday, all of the new condensers will be piped in.

Following week, electrical service to all of the new equipment and roughin of electrical devices and lighting in the cellar itself, then she'll be ready for spray foam.

New condenser pad poured Wednesday, condensers all in place, left one is my downstairs unit, right is the new on for upstairs, the on in the middle is the condenser for the refrigeration system. All copper and control wiring in place and ready for power, electrical work on Tuesday. The old vinyl siding is gone, everything gets 3/4" cement plaster. You can see the felt on the addition through the fence on the right, all this equipment is behind the fence.

image.jpg

Inside the Wine Room, above the ceiling, supply air ducted in and split to two diffusers. We decided to split the supply to reduce air flow noise through the diffusers and for more even distribution.

image.jpg

We've selected this slate for the flooring (2 square pieces). The 18"x18" pieces will be halved and laid in a herringbone pattern.

The second photo depicts the wall stone which will be on the wall above my work top / sink area up to the underside of the wall cabinets. It'll also go on the wall above the display counter.

My millwork guy should be finished his shop drawings pretty shortly, I'll post them when he's done.

image.jpg

image.jpeg

Latest posts

Back