I've got a live one -- SCAM ALERT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreginND

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Those with commercial wineries beware of shipping scams.

I've got a live one on the line right now and I'm teasing them a bit. The scam is they place a big order from out of the country. My fish is from Fiji. They want to use a credit card and they have to use their own shipping contact. They place an order. A credit card usually looks like it goes through. But they say you have to wire the shipper cash. It looks like you've been paid for it by CC, but that usually falls through later or it's a stolen number. If you ship and send money you are out twice.

Anyway, Jason Borowiskia is the name the guy is using. He wrote to me a week ago asking if he could order using a credit card and use his shipping. And claimed he had a retail store in Fiji that he wanted to sell my products at. It was very vague. They didn't indicate what they wanted or that they knew it was wine.

I responded: Let me know what products you are interested.

He responded: Send me an inventory list

I sent him a generic description of wines and various prices. I also asked if he know what the laws were for importing alcohol and that I needed his tax ID number.

He responded: We want cabernet, pinot, shiraz, rose.

Trying to decide how to respond - with a list of my wines?

I may tease him along until he sends more detailed credit card and address information and then contact the authorities.

BEWARE - this guy and similar scams have been perpetrated against some Napa wineries in the last few months.

I get about two of these a week and have for months now. They want to make a large order for my product and pay by credit card. They insist on using their own shipper who will come and pick up the product. I add them to the block sender list every time and yet continue to get these. The last one didn't mention they use their own shipper so it was a bit different on 2/2/2016 and the subject was "interested in buying your wine" and here is the body of it
Dear sir

We got your mail and address from our search for reliable supplier of quality product like yours on the internet.We are interested in buying from you in large quantities kindly give us offer pricelist for our study and we discus other terms in the proccess Hoping to hear from you soon

Rgds
Daniel Elvis
Goodan Investment co.. Ltd
Carre/ 800 near Central Bank -
Cotonou Republic of Benin
E-mail ; [email protected]

Many different scams out there!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Have friends who were sucked in on a Craigslist deal using this same format. And you wonder why more and more ppl are demanding face-to-face!!:slp

If you use the Google for "Cotonou Republic of Benin" the first hit is a Scam Warning from the US Embassy!

Tell them that there is a high demand for your product, and you would be happy to supply their large order. Then say that your current lead time for orders is 2 months and they have to prepay to get on the list.

Oh, and if they want your new product, Dandelion Wine, the current lead time is only 1 month.

Last edited:
WAIT A MINUTE!!!

We could turn this to our advantage. FIJI!!!! Finally a place where we can dump all of the Welch's!!!

We do this and I can guarantee that the scamming e-mails will stop!!!!

:)

Hope you like Fijians because they'll be migrating here just to get more of the sweet sweet nectar that is welches! Maybe I'll start a few more batches in preparation for them!!!!

Well I just received an email informing me that my long-lost uncle in Nigeria died in a tragic car accident. Gonna need a big shipment of wine for the funeral...:)

Sorry :( Can't help myself some times...

Please don't send me to the corner... It has been abandoned for quite some time and it is very dusty in there!!

Well someone needs to clean up that corner and you seem to be asking for it!

I feel sorry for the millions of older (and sometimes not so old) people that just aren't computer savvy enough to know what is a scam or not. There seem to be unlimited number of scammers out there just looking for victims. To be honest I had to lookup the Cotonou Republic of Benin since I have never heard of it. Mike checked it for scams. How many of those older folks would know how to do that. I guess there will always be others that want to get rich the easy way.

I got the same message

I get about two of these a week and have for months now. They want to make a large order for my product and pay by credit card. They insist on using their own shipper who will come and pick up the product. I add them to the block sender list every time and yet continue to get these. The last one didn't mention they use their own shipper so it was a bit different on 2/2/2016 and the subject was "interested in buying your wine" and here is the body of it
Dear sir

We got your mail and address from our search for reliable supplier of quality product like yours on the internet.We are interested in buying from you in large quantities kindly give us offer pricelist for our study and we discus other terms in the proccess Hoping to hear from you soon

Rgds
Daniel Elvis
E-mail ; [email protected]

I got the same message. I replied, and now Daniel Elvis is asking me to send him a lot of wine samples.

The amazing part is I get similar emails at work, for "your product" and I work for an electric utility! Have to wonder who that works on.

However, Fiji, ask them if they'll pay for me to deliver the Welches personally. I'll make the time!

Not only do many older folks fall for this type of scam, the most common way for a company to get compromised is via email.
Never open an attachment without knowing the sender and/or verifying with the sender what the attachment is. Even then always right click on an attachment to see what file type it is before opening. If they are sending an invoice and it is not a .doc or .pdf or .xls, do not open it. Never open a .exe .vbs .bat .com based attachment.
Be safe!

Latest posts

Back