Other Cider house select apple cider making kit

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fedup

Reaction score
has anyone tried this kit?... please tell about it.. I have questions..Thanks

I have only made two batches of cider. One was the cider house and the other was from organic apple cider from the grocery store. The cider house stuff tasted really artificial to me, and I didn't care for it. The other batch was just as easy to make and tasted much better.

I made the Cider House spiced apple cider - with some modifications.

Instead of adding the sugar and water the kit called for - I added 2 gallons of Indian Summer apple cider (896 grams of sugars). I still topped it off with some water to 6 gal.

It turned out ok. The spices are mostly cinnamon and are understated. The taste of the cider was ok - but could have been a little stronger. I suspect it would have been weak and watery without the apple cider I added.

They supply a special cider yeast. It did the job, but left fluffy uncompact lees. I bottle carbonated this batch and really disliked the fluffy yeast in every bottle. I have to pour extremely slow to leave the yeast in the bottle.

I am not blaming the Cider House company for this because, after all, I did not follow their recipe exactly.

Hope this helps with your decisions.

Dave

Anybody else have any input on this kit? It's been on my radar for quite some time.

We've made the Apple, Cherry and the Pear and have tasted some of the others. We like the pear the best. The apple is pretty good though, and on par with many store bought brands.

Josh

hard apple cider

well I must say in the interest that this was the worst kit I have ever made, finding out before I started that the package was anything but user friendly. I received a statement stating that the package wasn't exactly truthful in it's statement that all you need was in this kit, NOT SO, so after deliberation and pondering I took this 6 gallon kit and started it out as a 5 gallon, followed the recipe and it had a very bland apple taste, they also sell a concentrate for the kit ,I used 2 bottles to create some flavor, upon finishing the kit I installed sugar pills in each 8 oz. bottle and the sealed, which I might add cost me more for the tops and capper all toll YET ALONE THE SUGAR PILLS AND CONCENTRATE ,I still have the cherry in the wings and plan to do that as a 3 gallon batch it has to be better, to much cost and effort for a poorly conserved item at best and I do a lot of kits.my advice is DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME .:wy

I made this kit with some modifications, added spices... Cardamin, cinnamon Styx, cloves, nutmeg and ginger. Only brought liquid to 4 gal with water then I took it up to 5 gal with old orchard 100% Apple juice. Only added 1/2 the sweetener pack turned out pretty good but the cost verses the worth is very dissapointing. And after you buy the sugar and the fizz drops should of just went with buying all the Apple juice also! I'm with you joeswine! Don't waste your time or money! Mine turned out pretty good but I had to modify it to get it to that point! Just chalk this one up as experience :ft

I have made the spiced apple and apple. As stated you have to watch it opening the bag to avoid a big mess. These kits are drinkable but sort of watery for my taste. If I was to make one again I would definitely make some changes but not sure what. I'm sure some here have some great ideas.

artificial sweeteners used

If you don't want to have, or don't like the taste of, artificial sweeteners, avoid this kit.

Latest posts

Back