Planting a Vineyard, or buying an established one

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenbears

Reaction score
Well I am a farmer by genetics. By that I mean I was born into a farming family, and although I work in another profession, I still farm! thus I have all the equipment.

I have been thinking of starting a vineyard, Mostly for my personal use. Although I have never grown grape, I am sure research will give me the information needed.
My main concern is I do not want to wait years to have a producing vineyard. Just how long does it take for a grape vine to reach maturity? years ago I got several from Trader horn. planted them along an old split rail fence. The first year they got about 3/8 diameter and a few feet long, the next year they were about 1/2' diameter, and maybe 3 splits 10 feet long. the 3rd year they increased by about the same. the 4 year they all died. I never saw a grape.
I gave it up and never gave it a second thought. But now I would like to try again, a little more seriously this time.
I also have a fellow who has 80 acres already planted in 3 different types of grapes, Concord, Fredonia, and Catawba I think on the last one. it is a ways from my farm, but it produces well. Although I would just as soon plant on my present farm, and home. I do not want to wait years to have a crop. Any input would be appreciated.

you are looking at three to four years to get production. They need to be planted in a sunny place and well drained soil. The first few years trimming in important not just run wild. The type of grape you grow should be ones that will grow locally and ones you want to make wine with. There is a lot of information here on the forum, Grapeman has some great threads on growing, pruning general vineyard information.

Like Doug said it will take several years to get a crop and you can expect a full crop around the 5th year. Plant vines you know will grow and survive in your local area. If it is too cold for them, they will die or at least not crop. It sounds like the first vines grew, but you never pruned. That is a mistake. You need to prune to get a proper structure and then keep pruning to maintain fruiting. If you decide to try again, ask questions and we can offer you some help along the way.

try interning a year with the vineyard you are thinking of buying. Four years is the best that can be done to get your first crop. but proper pruning , trellising, farming etc are required to establish a good basis for the plant that will last more than 40 years. You can always buy grapes in the interim to make wine and improve your skills while you own vineyard is reaching crop production. I want also purchase from a reputable nursery, review DoubleA nursery for example.

Back