Didn't use a fruit bag

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rita36

Reaction score
Didn't use a fruit bag when I started my muscadine wine. Mashed muscadines added all required ingredients, waited 24 hours then added yeast, let sit 7 days and then squeezed all juice from the hulls, put in a secondary and added the airlock. Airlock is bubbling away but I have a lot of the pulp in the secondary. It's been 7 more days. Should I rack again now ? Im going to loose a lot of volume because of the stupid pulp. Any ideas on what to do ? Lol , Besides using a fruit bag next time ?

Just my opinion, but since you have removed the hulls and seeds I would let it sit for 3 more weeks then rack off the cleared portion and put the pulp back into something smaller and (and tall if possible) and let it clear some more for about 30 days. I might even do this second step again, by racking the pulp back into something smaller and taller you can recover a good bit of wine from that pulp. You don't mention kmeta specifically but you need to do that somewhere soon if you have not done it yet.

Yes I put in campden, yeast nutrient, yeast energizer, pectic enzyme, acid blend, wine tannin and sugar . Waited 24 hours and added yeast.

you could rack the pulp into a paint strainer bag and squeeze the juice out of that

Thanks Julie ! Actually that sounds good. I will pour into a fruit bag and into another secondary . Thank you

Ok Julie, I took off the pulp and put into another secondary. Should I add more yeast to start up the fermentation again or will the yeast that's in it start again ?

give it a couple of days and if it doesn't re-start, add more yeast.

When you say pulp is it floating or sinking? If you put this in a bag and strain it you will get the bulk of the pulp out but if you press it you are just going to start the process all over. Be happy straining out a gallon of juice for topping up from your pulp, trying to get it all is going to just start the mess back over again.

Are those paint strainer bags you guys are suggesting to use the ones made in China that are not food grade?

WVMJ

It had started settling to the bottom. The five gal one I strained off probably has 3-4 inches of pulp in the bottom and the 3 gal one with the left over pulp has about two gallons of the pulp on bottom and a gallon of juice that I can see right now. Still looks pulpy but hoping in will settle more.

Latest posts

Back