The Plan

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JWMINNESOTA

Reaction score
My Wife has never shown much interest in this hobby, other than enjoying the fruits from the bottle, and keeping an eye on the $$ I spend on it. So, knowing she likes the lighter, cooler style wines I got this for her from our friend George.

20080105_202700_100_0205_Medium.jpg

It actually brought a little smile to her face, so friends, I didn't stop there, oh no no no ...opened it up showing her all the goodies inside!

20080105_202946_100_0208_Medium.jpg

I said look here, this here is the Varietal grape juice, its the base of this here wine for you! Cant find these growing nowhere around here!

20080105_203232_100_0206_Medium.jpg

Then I got some water, had her poor the Bentonite it it as I explained what the other host of ingredients are and what they do, the yeast, sorbate,sulfite, clearing agents....when the must was had warmed up to room temp, I had her poor mix the bentonite up real good, poor it in, then I handed her the yeast, told her this one is yours doll, sprinkle it in and it will soon take off! She seemed to enjoy the whole thing, told her how we would watch it over the next few days, I'll help her rack when time, then add that big ol' bag of flavor and stabilize when time, how it will clear real nice, then we will bottle in whatever bottles she wants to use. NOW, maybe your wondering why this thread is "The Plan" well, after she uses that handheld Portuguese corker of mine, I'm thinking of suggesting she get a floor corker! Yup, she would really love that!
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif

As a man and husband, I think thats just awful. To mislead her like that, all to just get a new floor corker?

Let me know if it works
smiley2.gif
smiley36.gif
!!!

JWM, that's the funniest thing I've read in a loooong time! Thanks for the laughs!

You're slicker than goose grease!

You smooth talker you, she cleans your house, washes your shorts & now your training her to make your wine. Hey Hey Hey what a man!!
smiley14.gif

JW, Unlike everyone else around here, I don't see you as slick as snot on a doorknob. I see you as a man who values his marriage and would like to spend hobby time with his wife. The PWP commends you and is considering a Sirhood for you.
smiley36.gif

You know, Princess that's exactly what I thought when I first started reading that post... I thought...how sweet for choosing a kit he knew she'd enjoy and having her put it together. What a nice husband!!!

Then he had to drop the corker!!!
smiley4.gif

20080118_050126_100_0230_Small.jpg

While my best friend is still in dream land this morning, I too have been in dream land. Today we check Sg, should be done fermenting and proceed to the next step...one step closer!
smiley32.gif
smiley36.gif

I think I can see that turning into something else. It looks like it's starting to grow a handle at the top and a spot to insert a cork! It may turn into a corker yet. Good job JW.

20080120_083953_100_0261_Small.jpg

After the 24 hour degassing period, the flavor pack and clarifier's were added this morning. Only the second three gal kit I have done, but I do like the fact there is plenty to have a reserve bottle for topping up. Wish the larger kits were heavy on the volume like these! Now I'm getting all giddy thinking about you know what!
smiley2.gif

20080123_123107_100_0267_Small.jpg

Bottling day on the Wife's Fantazia, had cleared very nice, discussed filtering and what that does, she wanted to, so we did.
20080123_123355_100_0268_Small.jpg

She picked out these smaller bottles, pink shrinks (girly caps for girly wine) All went very well.
20080123_123607_100_0272_Small.jpg

Of course one case of the small bottles wasn't enough, got three regular size, two beer bottles, and a glass
smiley36.gif
, she tasted and really liked the flavor. I was surprised also at how fruity it taste, and ready it was to drink now. Have to admit, I like it.
20080123_123922_100_0270_Small.jpg

Finished product looks pretty good I think. Also believe she plans on setting these aside to serve at daughters baby shower coming up first of next month.

So....how did my plan go? WELL. The first bottle she corked, she struggled a bit...I ended up having to help. Of course I made it look as if it was as hard for me as it was for her. After tasting she said she would like to do another one of these style kits...BUT......
She would really like one of those FLOOR CORKERS for the next one!!!
smiley32.gif
smiley32.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley2.gif
smiley20.gif

Pretty crafty...We will call you Slick alright.

BTW...the wine looks really nice....brilliantly clear.

Nice job, slick! Wine looks great! Careful drinking it too soon after bottling. Mine started tasting harsh after 5-6 days. Guess it was bottle shock. Let us know how the new corker works out on the next batch.

Nice clear looking wine JW. By my count that is 18 days yeast pitch to bottle. You don't waste any time!

Latest posts

Back