Vinotemp on the fritz

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jswordy

Reaction score
Imagine my surprise to find my Vinotemp, set at 55 degrees, was actually 28 degrees inside! Some wines had partially frozen and the corks had eased halfway out of other bottles. I unplugged it. Probably a bad relay in there somewhere. T-stat seems to work on the panel, it is just running all the time. Have to check it out. Just something else...

It actually turned out much worse than I initially thought. The cork had come all the way out of one of my last bottles of 6-year-old Norton, stored in the back. Dammit. But that wasn't the worst part. The spilled wine caused a mold infestation, so I have been washing bottles.

I lost 5 bottles. I need to relabel a few. Some cork tops have mold on them, and I am washing them with a brush. It does not remove the stain, but helps. I am afraid to recork those because of the risk the mold could get in and contaminate the wine. So I guess I will just let them be until consumed.

All these bottles are then being moved to the cellar under the house. A lot of work, when I should be cleaning house for company next week!

After my company leaves, I will try to get the Vinotemp moved out and see if it is repairable. If I fix it, it'll be awhile until I trust it at full capacity again.

Too bad you are so far away. I would help you with those open bottles. Without seeing a wiring diagram it is most likely the thermostat. All the power should have to go thru there to run the unit. Long as it is calling for cold the stat is closed, when it opens there should be no power coming thru it. My best guess. Arne.

Too bad you are so far away. I would help you with those open bottles. Without seeing a wiring diagram it is most likely the thermostat. All the power should have to go thru there to run the unit. Long as it is calling for cold the stat is closed, when it opens there should be no power coming thru it. My best guess. Arne.

Found a diagram online, Jim. The compressor runs constantly. Rather than a separate relay, it looks like the relay and stat mechanism are packaged together as a single unit. Too bad, since as you know relays are a dime a dozen generically. Looks like $72 for the Vstat if that's it!!! Hell, I only paid $150 for the entire unit. LOL. I will have to explore further after my visitors leave.

5ae72b2f-1008-4079-af1f-f4961621a31a-bg4.png

If I read the diagram right that is about the only thing that could cause that. You might look thru the wiring and make sure none of the wires are touching to give you voltage without going thru the stat. Arne.

I still haven't had this come up high enough on the to-do list to get to it. I have all the wine out and in my cellar now. Tell one thing the colder temps did. Took two bottles of my pricer French and Argentinian reds to a party, and they both had sediment in the bottoms. Maybe things will slack off soon and I can dig it out and get it started, order the part and all.

I had a vintotemp that did this to me. Every time the power went out it would lose its mind and take the temp to high 20s. Created lots of wine diamond sediment. Each time I would have open it up to defrost. I gave up trying to figure it out and built my wine room. Good luck with yours.

Latest posts

Back