Two years off and whoops!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brutus

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I haven't posted in quite a while. Long story short, we moved to a new house and I missed last season. I wasn't even planning on making anything this year, but on Wednesday, I passed San Fillipo Produce in Columbus, and they were advertising Regina juice and grapes. Thought to myself, "why the hell not" and picked up 2 lugs of cab sav, a 6 gal of mixed black and a 6 gal of Sangiovese.

Everything went great for crush on Saturday. Even rented a crusher destemmer for the first time. Killed the wild yeast, but since I'm a little late this year, the reading was already 1.06, so fermentation in the buckets already starte..

Now for the bad part. I was prepping to pitch RC212 this afternoon, and I had my yeast nutrient bottle sitting next to my bottle of potassium meta. Which one do you think i grabbed without looking? Yup. Dosed 18 gallons of must and juice with 1/4 tsp of metabisulfate per gallon.

I've been racking and stirring and pouring must from bucket to bucket all afternoon. I think 1 bucket is starting some activity, but I won't know until tomorrow..

Wish me luck!

Steve

Good Luck! And I think you are going to do just fine. And welcome back.

Good news! Looks like 2 of the buckets have started a slow fermentation. Bad news is the temp dropped, so I have to bring the heater out.

Steve

This is my first time back in 5 years also. Missed making wine. New life, new wife and my own private stash of white grapes. Pitching yeast tonight. Cant wait to see what happens. This will be my first wine in over 5 years also. White grapes and second batch is blackberries. 5 gallons each. Good luck and hope to hear it keeps going good for you!

This is my first time back in 5 years also. Missed making wine. New life, new wife and my own private stash of white grapes. Pitching yeast tonight. Cant wait to see what happens. This will be my first wine in over 5 years also. White grapes and second batch is blackberries. 5 gallons each. Good luck and hope to hear it keeps going good for you!

Welcome back to you, too, @Lisa_Jeff . Shall we assume that this is a new screen name, too? :)

Yes on the new screen name. Was RedNeckWino in the past. Also was Musket_0. And thanks for the welcome back!

Back