leaking Fermentation lock

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sjors86

Junior
Reaction score
I'm making 30L of wine and during my holiday (3 weeks) it has been fermenting. When I returned home, I noticed that one lock had an equal water level, meaning fermentation would be over, the other were still fermenting though. After some good inspection, the level of wine in the one that was done fermenting was lower then in the other two. When inspecting more closely, it seemed that it was still fermenting, but somehow air could escape past the lock and maybe some of my wine vaporized and escaped as well?

I still think there would have been some kind of overpressure, it was just easier to push past the lock, then through the lock, should I worry about this batch?

Last edited:
Did you check the specific gravity? That's really the only way you can determine whether it's done fermenting, not by the water level in the air locks. If the SG is at 1.000 or lower and stays that level for a few days you are more than likely finished fermenting.

Also, wine will not evaporate that quickly......

Latest posts

Back