New Sous Vide Cooker

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

Which is the better unit here? Amazon has a GB deal on this one:

Anova

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean between the wifi+bluetooth, or the bluetooth only? I believe mechanically, they are the same. Just comes down to whether or not you want to spend the extra $70 for wifi.

If you're comparing the new one to the current model, I think the new one has a slightly smaller capacity - 3 gallons of water vs 4.

Was looking at the BT only one. The Amazon one is 800w, the presale unit is only 700. I would not need to control multiple units (I think) LOL

Presale unit is $25 cheaper but you have to wait until October (at a minimum) Looks like the presale unit has an app that can control it. The unit on Amazon looks to be more "robust" but hard to tell by a pic some times. I may swing by Target to look a them.

Not familiar w/ that. Good price?

The presale seems to be aiming at a more compact/mobile functionality. Smaller, and easy to take with you when you rent that beach house in the summer, etc. The current model is more robust, as you say and could be used with a larger container. Speaking of: I've seen some full briskets done for 24-72 hours, then smoked for 2-4. Looks awesome, but I need a big container if I want to try that. Not sure I could get one into a Foodsaver bag though. :D

Thanks for the heads up, I just emailed my wife this note:

This would be a great birthday present for someone who likes to cook, has always wanted one and happens to have a birthday in October... wouldn't it.....

Gotta love her, it's on order!
Mike

The presale seems to be aiming at a more compact/mobile functionality. Smaller, and easy to take with you when you rent that beach house in the summer, etc. The current model is more robust, as you say and could be used with a larger container. Speaking of: I've seen some full briskets done for 24-72 hours, then smoked for 2-4. Looks awesome, but I need a big container if I want to try that. Not sure I could get one into a Foodsaver bag though. :D

I have tried hard to get my mind around Sous Vide cooking and I just don't get it.
I've piddled with an InkBird controlled Crockpot and controlled one of those big *** turkey roasting pans (bigger was a bit a better in my book)....cooked chicken and steaks for hours in vacuum bags....it was OK, not bad, not earth moving either. Visually very unappealing until you roll it across the fire and get some brown on it. Small house, small kitchen...I don't have room for junk that doesn't work for ME.

I have a friend who does awesome steaks with his...but he caters. He does it to save time on the job....the steak is cooked....he is just adding color.

Boatman....big whole briskets...smoke for 2 - 4 hours FIRST...double wrap in heavy duty foil and a cup of STRONG BLACK COFFEE to each brisket...finish in the oven at 175-200 degrees for 6-10 hours depending on how you want your texture. I like it sliced nice, I go 6-8 hours. Wife likes it supper tender, she does 10 and it just falls apart and melts in your mouth. And no....you will not even taste the coffee....but you can sure tell if it wasn't in there!

If anyone else ordered the Nano they've pushed back the delivery date to May 2018. They did offer the choice of waiting, getting a refund or subbing the blueTooth version as a straight replacement for the Nano. What a easy choice. Hopefully I'll have bluetooth for the $69.00 I paid for the advance order on the Nano. Info is on the website for anyone else who's been waiting.
Mike

Thanks Mike. I've been meaning to post that. I haven't decided what I want to do, but that BT version for $69 that's already gone is a pretty nice offer.

I picked up a Chefman Sous Vide Precision Cooker on a pre-black Friday sell last Thursday. It was 40% off ($59.99, normally $99.99)

I can't cook steaks in my apartment as it sets off the smoke alarm. I can't have a grill either, I'm on the 4th floor. (they have grills I can use, but they are pretty far away)

Anyhow, I'm hoping this will solve my inability to cook steaks at home. Anything else will be a bonus.

I also recently picked up an air fryer. (Philips Viva Collection HD9230 Digital Airfryer Oven.) I have several friends who swear by them.

Better get one you one of these then! LOL

IMG-009.JPG

I have a small one for making Creme Brulee that works well for that purpose. I was trying to think of a way that wouldn't create much smoke. Sounds like you can't sear in a cast iron pan without setting off the smoke alarm. What about the oven broiler? A small torch should not produce much smoke esp since you are in control and can move it to a new spot if it starts smoking. I finished my beef tenderloin the other night on the gas grill and that worked very well.

My GF has a torch she uses for her candies. I suppose I could use that. Though I might actually need a larger one as hers is just for small stuff.

That Searzall looks awesome hah.

I finally got my Anova Blue Tooth last week as a replacement for the Nano that is behind in production schedule. I fired it up for the first time yesterday and although I think I picked the most fool proof piece of meat to practice on I was really impressed with the results. I cut a pork tenderloin into 1-1/2" think medallions, seasoned them with just salt, pepper, fresh thyme and bay leaves cooked at 2 hours at 137. Seared about 45 secs. on cast iron and threw in some butter when I flipped them. Perfect color, texture, taste. I also used a recipe from their website for Peas in cream and butter and shallots and nutmeg and cloves and YUM. It called for 1 hour at 180 but I threw it in with the pork (separate bag) for 2 hours then in a sauce pan for the last few minutes.

I Don't know if anyone else has this problem, but when I try to vacuum seal something, if there is any liquid, it wants to vacuum out and then not seal because the bag is wet. When I did the peas in cream I threw the open bag into the freezer for 20 minutes before vacuuming and sealing and it worked great. Should work for sealing things with a marinade also.
Mike

Latest posts

Back