Building a new wine room and have question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olusteebus

Reaction score
I plan on setting my carboys at an angle for clearing and storing probably. I will probably get a piece plywood or maybe a couple of pieces of "one by" wood an planks. What degree angle should I shoot for?

I am thinking that for a 15 inch base, I would have about an inch lift at the back?

I suppose you have your reasons for wanting it at an angle, but I would be concerned about the effect on the airlock you might use, whether the air bubble would move from the neck to the upper edge of the carboy and exposing a greater wine surface area to air, not to mention the wine moving into the neck and the airlock, and sediment being disturbed when you move it into position for racking. I suppose the best answer to your question would be to fill a carboy up and see what tilt gives you what you want to achieve.

I keep a piece of 5/4 thickness wood around for when I am racking a 6 gallon carboy. That seems to me to be a decent angle for racking, but perhaps a bit much for storing.

A fully topped up carboy can be tilted quite a bit before it affects the airlock, but stability becomes more problematic. I have a storage rack in my wine room for full carboys, but it is flat storage. Like @sour_gtapes , I keep a few pieces of 5/4 stock around. When I want to rack into or out of the storage unit, the carboys are tilted outward to allow easy access to the airlock and opening.

220BBE6B-9D56-4CDA-9512-836E3EB90A64.jpg

Johnd said:
A fully topped up carboy can be tilted quite a bit before it affects the airlock, but stability becomes more problematic. I have a storage rack in my wine room for full carboys, but it is flat storage. Like @sour_gtapes , I keep a few pieces of 5/4 stock around. When I want to rack into or out of the storage unit, the carboys are tilted outward to allow easy access to the airlock and opening.

John, do you run some sort of commercial operation? What I see of your storage looks over-the-top (meant in a good way) for a hobbyist.

Nicely done John. Makes me feel quite unorganized and messy. I’ve got a chore todo this weekend.

John, do you run some sort of commercial operation? What I see of your storage looks over-the-top (meant in a good way) for a hobbyist.

I own a commercial construction company, but do a little hobby woodwork on the side. The carboy shelving was designed by me, but built by my buddy’s shop. I did all of the racking myself. Thanks for your kind words.

Latest posts

Back