How Do You Clean Your Crusher/Destemmer?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very nice, that flywheel ensures smooth operation through the toughest clusters. Don't get your hand in the wrong spot!:h

Having cleaned mine for the first time yesterday, I was wondering how other people do it. The winery where I get my grapes has larger SS C/D's and they actually use a power washer. Yesterday, I removed the cover and the 'thingy that the grapes fall through' and washed them down with the hose. Did the same with the rest of it, making sure to turn the rollers as I sprayed them down. It was a little tricky getting the underside completely clean with the hose, but I got it done. Just wondering what others do and how careful those with electric motors have to be with water.

I take it apart once you take the hopper off and the plastic front shield off then you can remove the rollers. I think it is important to clean the sugar that crust up on the paddles and the strainer. I use B brite to clean all the stains and sugar residual. Be sure to rinse it well without getting water into the motor. Then let I dry Then put it back together and I cover it with a plastic bag until next year

Having cleaned mine for the first time yesterday, I was wondering how other people do it. The winery where I get my grapes has larger SS C/D's and they actually use a power washer. Yesterday, I removed the cover and the 'thingy that the grapes fall through' and washed them down with the hose. Did the same with the rest of it, making sure to turn the rollers as I sprayed them down. It was a little tricky getting the underside completely clean with the hose, but I got it done. Just wondering what others do and how careful those with electric motors have to be with water.

I take it apart once you take the hopper off and the plastic front shield off then you can remove the rollers. I think it is important to clean the sugar that crust up on the paddles and the strainer. I use B brite to clean all the stains and sugar residual. Be sure to rinse it well without getting water into the motor. Then let I dry Then put it back together and I cover it with a plastic bag until next year

Very nice. I saved our old treadmill for the same reason. With these pictures, I’ll be able to do the same on my Sunday afternoons. Thanks.

As for cleaning the C/D, I just spray until nothing comes out anymore and start all over again because you’ll
Always find a spot. Using saw horses, I tip on both sides too. If using back to back weekends, I’d clean it again before using on the second weekend.

Latest posts

Back