Hello from Lower Alabama

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigT

Junior
Reaction score
I have never cared for homemade fruit wines as they were too thick and sweet (like syrup) for my taste. I have access to several different fresh fruits so I figured I would make my own. I bought a kit, watched a lot videos and read several articles on wine making. I found this forum and realized that everything I thought I knew was wrong. I currently have a batch of blueberries that have been fermenting (under air lock) for 4 days but seem to be moving along on schedule. I'm going to finish this batch according to my original plan and then start a batch using the ideas from the forum. I'm looking forward to the world of wine making and the vast amount of knowledge on the WMT forum. I'm pretty good at searching the board for answers but I'm sure I'll have some of the same questions that everyone has already asked. Thanks for having me.

Hi BigT Welcome to winemakingtalk.

And I would not have the blueberry under an airlock at this time Leave the lid on loose and stir your must daily until sg is down to 1.010. At this point you can either rack to a carboy or snap the lid down until done fermentation.

Welcome BigT

There is a wealth of information on this forum - please look around and or ask any question you may have.

Welcome BigT
You have joined a great forum with a wealth of information to search out and read. I post very little, but read the various threads a lot, and this forum has helped me greatly in progressing with my wine. There are some really knowledgeable people who regularly post on here; they know their stuff. Also since you are rather new like me, check out Jack Keller's website. He carries you step-by-step through the basics. Good luck on your blueberry.
Jim
p.s. I am from SE Alabama

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Lots to learn on here and usually someone around to help if you have a problem. Arne.

Welcome to the forum!

Please do stick around. I've been here about 3 years and still learning. Yet, I've gained enough knowledge and experience to every once in awhile help someone new to the hobby.

Welcome to the forum.. And I have a Blueberry aging that I did according to the local Recipe. I did a second rack on it last night and it was dry, like 0.990 dry. It hadn't bubbled once on airlock since a couple weeks before the first secondary fermentor racking 1.5 months ago. I added come I added a crushed, to powder, campden tab, and added 1/2 cup of sugar dissolved in 3/4 cup warm water. It's a single gallon. I tested it and ir read 1.015. I tasted it and it tasted delish. I put a air lock on it and stuck it back in the closet. 72 degrees F. It was very clear, and I bet in about 3 months I can check it again. If it's still 1.015, and tastes great I Bottle it, and let it set until next spring. It should be great..
Again Welcome. and look forward to reading your posts.

Welcome to the forum.. And I have a Blueberry aging that I did according to the local Recipe. I did a second rack on it last night and it was dry, like 0.990 dry. It hadn't bubbled once on airlock since a couple weeks before the first secondary fermentor racking 1.5 months ago. I added come I added a crushed, to powder, campden tab, and added 1/2 cup of sugar dissolved in 3/4 cup warm water. It's a single gallon. I tested it and ir read 1.015. I tasted it and it tasted delish. I put a air lock on it and stuck it back in the closet. 72 degrees F. It was very clear, and I bet in about 3 months I can check it again. If it's still 1.015, and tastes great I Bottle it, and let it set until next spring. It should be great..
Again Welcome. and look forward to reading your posts.

To stabalize your wines you should add sorbate as well as sulfite(campden tabs). The sulfites stun any yeasts left and the sorbate is birth control for them so they don't decide to reproduce and give you a referment. Arne.

Latest posts

Back