WineXpert Help- added too much water!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyd

Junior
Reaction score
I am starting a Winexpert White Merlot kit, I added 1/2 gallon too much water- have not added yeast yet- SG is 1.080. Am I ok or should I add sugar or anything?? Thanks

I'm a newbie like you, I look forward to the response by the experts on this one. Have you stirred yet?

-Promo

I just checked my records and my last two White Merlot kitshad a SG of 1.085 so you have not diluted it that much. If you feel the need to add sugar to bring the SG up I would add only 1 lb (2 cups). Keep in mind this will also increase the volume a bit more due to the volume of sugar. You also need to stir well to get the sugar to dissolve...something I have never done to a room temp kit.

When I tweak kits with sugar I dissolve sugar in water and bring to boil then cool before adding to concentrate during the makeup.

Tweaking kits!!!!...did I say that out loud!
smiley2.gif

The real difference in final ABV is only about .6% - .7% .

This kit has a F-Pack to be added after fermentation so depending on the final volume you have in your carboy after racking from primary you may have to remove a bit in order to degas and get all the F-Pack in.

Most of all relax.....it is not that big of a mistake and we will guide you.

I think it will be fine also, just be a little softer wine is all.

great Thanks- since my sg is close I will go ahead with it- Thanks again

When you do your first racking, try to get as much juice as you can, even if that means a little sediment. Since you have increased the liquid in the beginning, if you rack well, you should have to add 1/2 gallon less water to top off.

If you have a full carboy when you de-gas, be sure to take some out before stirring. Otherwise, you might have a mess on your floor!

thanks George, had not thought of the added water later- great idea!!!!

Latest posts

Back