RJ Spagnols Uh oh

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mud41

Junior
Reaction score
I might have a problem. I am using a Black Cherry Pinot Noir from www.finevinewines.com and I believe the brand was Island Mist. I am trying to follow the directions exactly, but I have run into a problem.

My wife and I reracked the wine for the first time (2 weeks into the process) and the specific gravity was not correct. It is coming out to be 1.030 and everything I have read says it needs to be under .99.

Once I added all the rest of the ingredients, the fermentation pretty much stopped - as expected. THe directions now say to wait another 2 weeks and then bottle.

Basically - is this wine going to be any good? Is there something I can/should do?

First I have to ask. Did you add the F-Pack (the smaller bag of juice) to the batch before you checked the SG? If so, it will raise the SG to sweeten the wine. If you haven't added it and have an SG of 1.030 you had a fermentation problem. Give George a call at 1-866-417-1114, he will take care of you.

Hi Smurfe--

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely call. I checked with the kit and it did have an F-Pack and most likely I measured it after adding the other ingredients.

In the future, is it okay to leave the hydrometer in the wine? I was thinking the next batch, I should drop it in and keep an eye on it without having to uncork it. Thoughts on that?

Mud

Last edited:
Hi all -

I am at the point in the directions that came with the kit to start the bottling process. Unfortunately the SG has not dropped below the 1.030 that it was at when I reracked.

Should I do anything else before I bottle it, or just siphon it into the bottles and cross my fingers?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Mud
www.muddywine.blogspot.com

Hi Smurfe--

Thanks for the tip, I will definitely call. I checked with the kit and it did have an F-Pack and most likely I measured it after adding the other ingredients.

In the future, is it okay to leave the hydrometer in the wine? I was thinking the next batch, I should drop it in and keep an eye on it without having to uncork it. Thoughts on that?

Mud
I would NOT leave it in the wine. All sorts of "crud" will attach itself and you would need to clean and sanitise any way.
Try this make a strong solution and put it in a spray bottle. When you need to sanitise spray it on.

I dont know about Mud but I am going to try the spray bottle. Thanks for the tip, :bSteve

I have a 3 Gal primary bucket that I use to keep a meta solution in all the time and I keep my frequently used items in there (e.g. small wine thief, racking tubing, hydrometer, etc.). When I need to use one I just rinse, use it, rinse again and place it back in the meta solution till next time. I got tired of constantly mixing up a solution every time I needed it. The spray bottle idea is a good thought too.

Latest posts

Back