Adjusting acidity of grape must

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd probably go by the hydrometer, Ta between 6.0 to 7.0 g/L TA. Looks like your in the ball park if your doing mlf. Of course I'm a red man, and second opinions never hurt.

Thanks guys! I pitched yeast Saturday and it's fermenting very actively. Plan to pitch MLB this weekend as AF finishes after racking off gross lee's and perform battonage on the fine lee's whilst MLF'ing and further.

Cheers!
-johann

The pH is a good starting point, it'll raise a tad in AF, which will make your MLF even easier. Depending on where you land, and taste tests, you may end up adding acid later, but that'll be up to your taste buds, not mine. As for the BRIX, that might be a little stiff for a chard, but again here, it's more about your taste. Traditionally, you wouldn't want a chard to clock in at 16%, so if it were mine, I'd be watering back a bit with acidulated water, shooting for a 13% or so ABV.

Post your TA when you get it, just to be sure all is in line.

25.5 won't bring in 16%.... Probably closer to 14% but still a little high.

Once I recalibrated the refractometer with distilled water at "room temp" both the refractomer brix measurement and hydrometer SG measurement were in agreement with 23.8 brix and 1.100 SG respectively.

That may even be slightly high for other kit chardonnay's that I have done but already went with it and will drink it and enjoy it.

I seem to see 14%'ish commercial offerings regularly that are yummy so not too concerned as long as it's "inside the window".

Cheers!
-johann

Latest posts

Back