Harford Vineyard Chilean Grape/Juice Pickup

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was there Friday. Fast and courteous, though they probably should have chosen a different week to repave their drive. I was tempted to ask if I could purchase another grape varietal last minute, but this was a practice run (my 1st grapes). I'll definitely be back in the fall, doubling my order.

Yea, that driveway was a challenge in my little Corolla. I had to drive with one tire on the grass on the way out. Hope Teresa feels a bit better, what a week to get your knee worked on! Once again my grapes were in great condition and the juice buckets seem as high quality as they were last year. Love making inexpensive wine with good ingredients.

Well, we got back from our fundraiser 5k and the whole house stunk! I had a hint of H2S this morning in the Cab and Merlot, and gave each of them a rounded tsp of FermaidO. I'm hoping that I can get rid of that by tonight. It just hit you right in the face when you walked in the door. Mrs. Boatboy is not exactly thrilled right now. :i

Well, I didn't pitch yeasts until yeasterday, and all three are going well. No off aromas on the Pinot Grigio's (drilled larger hole in lids for airlocks, added 1/2 Fermaid O addition), actually the one with the QA 23 reminded me of 7-up.

On the other hand the Pinot Noir seemed fine until I took the lid off this morning to squeeze the grape bag. Slight sulfur odor, so I added Fermaid O to that one too. All measured around 1.080 to 1.078, so definitely going pretty well.

I'm happily listening to dueling airlocks on the PG's, drinking a Yuengling, and surfing the internet.

By this morning, things are humming along and the yeast are smelling happy again. The Carm still has a very slight H2S smell, so I gave it another 1/4 tsp of FermaidO.

BTW: Color on all 4 wines is exceptional so far.

Squeezed the grape bag on the Pinot Noir this morning and again when I got home from work. Was approximately 1.070 this morning, 1.060 tonight. Plan on adding my other 1/2 addition of Fermaid O tomorrow afternoon after work. Some organic smell but not much of any HSO2. Down here in the basement the Pinot Grigio's smell like candy, makes me want to dive in!

Squeezed the grape bag on the Pinot Noir this morning and again when I got home from work. Was approximately 1.070 this morning, 1.060 tonight. Plan on adding my other 1/2 addition of Fermaid O tomorrow afternoon after work. Some organic smell but not much of any HSO2. Down here in the basement the Pinot Grigio's smell like candy, makes me want to dive in!
Enjoying the fermenting smell myself (Syrah). Ever stuck your head into the fermenter and taken a big whiff? Nearly knocked me on my butt today haha

Enjoying the fermenting smell myself (Syrah). Ever stuck your head into the fermenter and taken a big whiff? Nearly knocked me on my butt today haha

Yes, that is one of the Rites of Spring! Keep us up to date on how that Syrah turns out. I'm trying to pick the Spring varieties off one by one. That one was on the short list for this Spring. Just did the Pinot Noir because I didn't know any better, and knew nothing about the variety. Best way to learn sometimes is to force the issue.

I always stick my head in the fermenter for a whiff. But I first remove the lid, then 'wave off' some of the CO2 with the lid itself, or my hands. I've come close to knocking myself out once or twice, so I learned that lesson. :h

I'm getting a lot of green pepper from my Syrah. Did you do a bucket? Grapes? Combo? I did one bucket with two lugs of grapes. It smells really good overall, but that green pepper is definitely present.

..., but that green pepper is definitely present.

I've often wondered if that (bell pepper taste/aroma) is a sign that the grapes were picked a bit early. I have that in my Dornfelder from last fall, and though it is diminishing with time, I wonder if that is just part of the grapes' flavor profile or if the grapes were picked a bit early.

From the research I've done on Dornfelder, it is rare that the grape will ripen with a Brix above 20. So I wonder if it is just a part of its natural flavor profile.

Maybe in the fall I can give you a bottle of the Dornfelder and you can use your taste buds to see what you think. Research, research and more research.

I've often wondered if that (bell pepper taste/aroma) is a sign that the grapes were picked a bit early. I have that in my Dornfelder from last fall, and though it is diminishing with time, I wonder if that is just part of the grapes' flavor profile or if the grapes were picked a bit early.

From the research I've done on Dornfelder, it is rare that the grape will ripen with a Brix above 20. So I wonder if it is just a part of its natural flavor profile.

Maybe in the fall I can give you a bottle of the Dornfelder and you can use your taste buds to see what you think. Research, research and more research.

From what I've read, it is from grapes picked too early. The relatively low SG on this wine would support that. Unfortunately, (also from what I've read) there's very little you can do about it post-harvest. My 2014 Carmenere had it as well and it did fade - thought not completely.

No direct experience, but BM45 and GRE are said to help with this. Maybe the BM4x4 will suffice.

Too bad I'm using RP15. :(

Funny thing is, I had purchased GRE for this ferment. At the last second (literally, as I was about to mix up the starter), I realized I had some RP15 and decided to switch.

I always stick my head in the fermenter for a whiff. But I first remove the lid, then 'wave off' some of the CO2 with the lid itself, or my hands. I've come close to knocking myself out once or twice, so I learned that lesson. :h

I'm getting a lot of green pepper from my Syrah. Did you do a bucket? Grapes? Combo? I did one bucket with two lugs of grapes. It smells really good overall, but that green pepper is definitely present.
I did all grapes, six lugs total. I purchased a WineEasy and so I sort of felt obligated to go all grapes, otherwise the WineEasy would be wasted money.

So MLF is a week or so away. I bought enough Opti Malo Plus and Acti-ML for my 6-8 gallons of wine, but the VP41 says it's good for 66 gallons! They can't sell this in smaller quantities? Anyhow, is it safe to dump it all in or should I try and measure it out?

I personally would dump it all in. Some here have said it can be stored short term if well wrapped and frozen. Never tried it, so I dumped it in. Maybe you'll just have to make larger quantities next time!

I personally would dump it all in. Some here have said it can be stored short term if well wrapped and frozen. Never tried it, so I dumped it in. Maybe you'll just have to make larger quantities next time!
Sounds good. I'll dump it all in. I do plan on doubling my order next time.

I recently took the plunge and got myself a GoPro. Just learning how to use it, but here's my first time lapse project: tonight's punchdowns

https://www.facebook.com/100010119555759/videos/vb.100010119555759/266932610320722/?type=2&theater

As of 6pm, my SG's are as follows:

Merlot: 1.030 and 1.022 (broke into two 6gal buckets)
Syrah: 1.036
Carmenere: 1.042 and 1.032 (broke into to 6gal buckets)
Cab Sauv: 1.026

I'm thinking I'll 'press' and move to glass on Thurs - Have an overnight with the Cub Scouts on Friday.

I recently took the plunge and got myself a GoPro. Just learning how to use it, but here's my first time lapse project: tonight's punchdowns

https://www.facebook.com/100010119555759/videos/vb.100010119555759/266932610320722/?type=2&theater

I'm thinking I'll 'press' and move to glass on Thurs - Have an overnight with the Cub Scouts on Friday.
Cool vid. You've got a lot going on there.

I didn't pick up where you set your glass of wine in that video...

Latest posts

Back