Herbal wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tess

Reaction score
I grow a lot of different herbs and was wondering if anyone has added any herbs to their wine. I have a citrus mint that Im really tempted to add to my dragons Blood

are you saying NO!! dont do it!!! lol This citrus mint taste a lot like orange with just a hint of mint. Im thinking of tossing some in the fermenter. Not a lot just a few sprigs. If you think its going to be a disaster James tell me now!!! :)

I took a bite out of it and my first thought was this would be good in wine. I wonder if we home brewers all do this? What ever we taste we think of how we might incorporate it into our wine!! lol

actually i think a citrus mint would be good.
If you can kick up the abv, it will be like a mint fruit julep, which would be awsome..I say go for it....

I've done this with 2.5 gal of lemongrass + ginger and now I have 7 gal of lemongrass + mint.
The lemongrass-ginger is ready to bottle and (just my opinion) might be the best wine I've made so far.
Lemongrass-mint is nice but it is young and too early to say for sure.

If you are interested I can post the recipes I used.

Thanks guys Im gonna do it. Stress, Lemongrass and ginger!! That would be so good!! What have you added that to, what wine. A red?

Thanks guys Im gonna do it. Stress, Lemongrass and ginger!! That would be so good!! What have you added that to, what wine. A red?

I haven't added it to anything. In my opinion, it stands by itself. Here is the recipe. I used all grape concentrate, no apple; I used about 25g fresh lemongrass/gallon instead of the dried lemongrass; I also essentially doubled the lemon (1 lemon/2.5 gal)

The following is my recipe (tweaked for acid blend, see other thread) for the Mint-lemongrass wine, 5 gal.
5qt fresh lemongrass stalks, coarsely chopped
5qt fresh mint leaves, removed from stems and coarsely chopped
Sugar: 8#
Campden: 1/4t kmeta
Yeast nutrient: 5t
Tannin: 1t
Pectic enzyme: 2.5t
Acid blend: 12t
Water: to 5 gal + 1qt
Welch's grape concentrate: 5 cans

Add lemongrass and mint to pot with 1 gal water. Bring to boil, then turn off and leave covered 1 hour. Strain liquid into primary. Add 2nd gal water to leaves, bring to boil, simmer 1 hour, then strain liquid into primary. Add grape concentrate, tannin, acid blend, K meta, sugar. Bring up the water. Let sit overnight (12 hours).
Next morning add pectic and start yeast starter. 12 hours after adding pectic, add yeast starter and 1/2 of nutrient. Add second half of nutrient at ~1.060. Then as usual, move to secondary at ~1.010, rack, etc.

One thing I was considering with this wine was a little citrus rind in the secondary. If I were you, I would try the Lemongrass-ginger recipe but sub the citrus mint for the lemongrass.

Last edited:
Citrus mint is nice in niagara lime. I make a basic batch of niagara, add 2 cans frozen/thawed limeade per 5 gallons once batch is clear & ready for stabilizing/backsweetening. The fresh but crushed mint is then added, 1 cup per gallon, for a few days (to taste) & then sweeten to taste after removal. This is meant to be an 'unclear' wine because you have bits of lime pulp floating around & you want to consume within 9 months of adding the lime. I have also made/used mint simple syrup and backsweetened with it.

They both sound wonderful and Im gonna have to try them both. Thank You!!!

I just poured me a glass of DB and chopped a little if the citrus mint into the glass.I think its going to be a great addition!!

I haven't added it to anything. In my opinion, it stands by itself. Here is the recipe. I used all grape concentrate, no apple; I used about 25g fresh lemongrass/gallon instead of the dried lemongrass; I also essentially doubled the lemon (1 lemon/2.5 gal)

The following is my recipe (tweaked for acid blend, see other thread) for the Mint-lemongrass wine, 5 gal.
5qt fresh lemongrass stalks, coarsely chopped
5qt fresh mint leaves, removed from stems and coarsely chopped
Sugar: 8#
Campden: 1/4t kmeta
Yeast nutrient: 5t
Tannin: 1t
Pectic enzyme: 2.5t
Acid blend: 12t
Water: to 5 gal + 1qt
Welch's grape concentrate: 5 cans

Add lemongrass and mint to pot with 1 gal water. Bring to boil, then turn off and leave covered 1 hour. Strain liquid into primary. Add 2nd gal water to leaves, bring to boil, simmer 1 hour, then strain liquid into primary. Add grape concentrate, tannin, acid blend, K meta, sugar. Bring up the water. Let sit overnight (12 hours).
Next morning add pectic and start yeast starter. 12 hours after adding pectic, add yeast starter and 1/2 of nutrient. Add second half of nutrient at ~1.060. Then as usual, move to secondary at ~1.010, rack, etc.

One thing I was considering with this wine was a little citrus rind in the secondary. If I were you, I would try the Lemongrass-ginger recipe but sub the citrus mint for the lemongrass.

Is that 12 tsp of acid blend?? :0

Yes. I did 15t on the first batch in an effort to adjust the TA and probably overshot. 10t got a pH of 3.38 and then 15t got me to 3.21 preferment. Now that same batch is 3.26 postferment. I wanted it sharp, but maybe not that sharp.

Again, that is a tweaked recipe. You could be just fine with 8t or even 6t in 5 gal but I wanted this wine to be bright.

Back