Other Chateau Classico Kits Question

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

txlbbguy

Larry
Reaction score
I had a friend who ordered me a Chateau Classico kit from Ebay that is supposed to be a 16L kit of California White Zen. Has anyone done one of these kits? I have read some bad stories about low end wine kits, but this one has 16L of juice, so I was just wondering if anyone else had tried them? I guess it wont hurt since it was a gift and I havent lost anything, but would be nice to know if anyone else has finished one of these 16L kits.

I did an Amarone from this brand last summer. I really wanted this to work out, since I love Amarone. I did over oak it and it has been taking a long time to mellow out. Also, it still has a musty taste that seems to prevail throughout these kits, at least for my palate. Maybe if you just make it according to mfg instructions, you might be OK. I don't want to be a buzzkill here but don't get your expectations too high. Maybe I messed it up - always a possibility. Others have reported much better results. Like you say, it is a gift and don't have much to lose if you aren't happy with it.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks Roger...I have read some threads from others who have bad or average experiences with paklab kits, but they were all the 7 and 10 liter kits. You were the first I have seen that did the 16 liter kits, which i was hoping would be better quality since it has a lot more juice concentrate than the others. Guess we will see...I will keep you posted.

I can't speak to the quality of these kits myself, but your experience will probably be better than if you were to make a red wine. A White Zinfandel is much closer to a white in this case, and it probably has some sweetness to it, as well. Bigger kits generally are better, but it also depends on your own personal tastes. You may be more than satisfied where others will not be.

Since my preference is white and blush wines, I am hoping you are correct SouthernChemist. I like red wines ok, but prefer the Shiraz types that are more fruity and not oaked, so this kit may work out fine. Kinda anxious to get started on it now just to see how it comes along.

Latest posts

Back