Packlab Riesling not clearing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NashChic

Reaction score
I'm doing the Vino Italiano Riesling kit for the first time. I degassed it and added the finings on 4/19, but it's not clearing. I'm fairly new to this, but I've never had a kit take this long to show signs of clearing. I did tweak this kit buy adding some golden raisins and a banana (I think... I don't have my notes in front of me). I don't have any experience with this, but I've seen it mentioned... Could it be pectic haze? My instinct is to rack it, double check my degassing, add pectic enzyme & set it aside again. Anybody have any thoughts about that plan or advice?

Is it showing any sign of clearing? I would let it sit for another couple of weeks before I got too concerned. Sometimes it takes a couple of weeks before the clarifying agents work totally plus you did add raisins and bananas

Keep it warm (72 to 75F) during the clearing stage. If it's cooler than that, it can really clear slowly.

Make sure you degassed well. I wouldn't change anything but maybe the temperature for another couple weeks.

I work on my wine in my laundry room. I keep a heater on when I'm fermenting (which I am right now), so the temp stays around 74-76 and has been the whole time with this Riesling. I think the temp is okay on this one, but that's good to know because in the future I was thinking about moving carboys to the colder areas of the basement after adding the finings. It didn't occur to me that it might slow clearing.

As far as the degassing, I degas manually with a drill attachment. I think it was thorough, but I wouldn't swear to it. Should I leave it alone or rack & whip it a little to see if it's gassy?

Thank you guys so much for the responses! I don't know what I'd do without this forum!!

Edited to add: I can't discern any signs that it has cleared any since the degassing & clarifies.

Your temps are fine and once it clears, moving them to the cooler part of the basement is fine. I would let this one sit for a little while and just watch it to see if you see any signs of clearing, it should start to look clearer on the top and slowly move downwards.

Back