Hello from Iowa

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyerfytr

Junior
Reaction score
Hello all! My name is Mark and am a professional firefighter and medic by day and have recently discovered winemaking and I'm addicted :)

We have quite a few fruit trees on our property and ended up with about a hundred lbs of pears which have been going for over a month now.

I hope to learn a lot more from all your wisdom.

Cheers!

Mark

Welcome to the forum. Hopefully we can help you out. Sounds like your initial interest is in fruit wines, rather that grape wines. Lots of people on here who can help you with fruit wines.

I spent Labor Day Weekend in Southwestern Iowa picking grapes at a new friend's 10 acre vineyard. We picked Noiret, St Vincent, and the magnificent Norton. It was the first time I had spent even a single day in your state. I hope to go back next year.

Yes the drought has actually helped out the vineyards which is good. I am planning on planting some grapes here soon maybe next year.

Yes the drought has actually helped out the vineyards which is good. I am planning on planting some grapes here soon maybe next year.

My friend said the same thing - the Iowa production is very low this year but the quality of the grapes is making for a vintage year.

3 of these 5 gals of pear in secondary and just started a 4 gal of blackberry wine. Going to use ec-1118 yeast.

image-3894716649.jpg

3 of these 5 gals of pear in secondary and just started a 4 gal of blackberry wine. Going to use ec-1118 yeast.

View attachment 5594

Looks delicious! I hear blackberry can be a bear. Several people on here make blackberry so if you have any questions, just ask and they should respond. Unfortunately, I am not a fruit wine maker... yet.

Really? Oh great! My second wine and I pick a tough one, if anyone has any tips drop me a message please!

Thanks!

Welcome Mark. I'm an addict also. Found this forum one day and joined, lots of good information here. I've learned alot and because of it just today I started a Chocolate Raspberry Port, first time ever. Also I ordered 2 buckets of juice, 1 is a red zinfindel, the other a merlot, also first time making a juice. Bakervinyard

Welcome to the forum. I have done lots of different fruits. Blackberry is not one of them, so can't help you much there. They all are about the same to ferment. The only thing I have had a problem with is watermelon and I believe that is because the juice spoiled before I could get the ferment making alcohol fast enough. Mite have to try it again one of these days, but not this year. Good luck with your journey, Arne.

Welcome and greetings from the northern plains! I also am a predominantly fruit wine maker (I have grape vines growing, just haven't had a harvest yet) ;)

I have blackberry's in the freezer waiting their turn!

Thank you all for the warm welcome! The blackberry is in day 3 now and fermenting well. Started with an OG of 1.090 so I'm shooting for pretty sweet and went with the d-47 lalvin yeast.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back