when good wines gone bad

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WOW! Some very interesting info and ideas here. When Joe gets going he really pops out some good ideas.
smiley32.gif

HAY HANN ..HAVENT HEARD FROM YOU IN A DOGS AGE...HOW ARE THINGS UP THERE.....????????????///YES NEAT TRICKS TO FOOL THE WINE INTO BEING SOMETHING IT DID TURN OUT TO BE...
smiley2.gif

YES EVERCLEER IS PURE GRAIN ....HIGH TEST....BUT IT GOES A LONG WAY FOR WHAT YOU'LL USE IT FOR HERE IT SELLS FOR ABOUT $20.00 A BOTTLE,,,DO YOU UNDERSTAND HOW EASY IT IS TO MAKE SO
smiley9.gif
MANY OF THE CELLOS BY USEING THE EXTACTS AND SIMPLE SYRUP..AND IF YOUR REALLY WANT TO TWEEK A WINE ADD SOME EVERCLEER TO LETS SAY BLUEBERRY WINE AND LET IT SET FOR TWO OR THREE YEARS...IT CAN MAKE A GREAT BRANDY WINE.......WITH AGEING.....NEXT WE 'ILL MOVE INTO FPACS....HOW TO MAKE THEM FRESH AND FRUIT FULL....MAKE A BLACKBERRY PINO NIOR....FROM KIT OR JUICE YOUR CHOICE......BUT FIRST FPACS,,,,JOE'S STYLE NEVER FROZEN ALWAYS IN SEASON....
smiley2.gif

ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT MAKING A CELLO OR AS A ADDITIVE TO WINE?

iF i WERE GOING TO MAKE A CELLO OF APPLES,GREEN OR NOT,i THINK I WOULD USE A CONCENTRATED JUICE TO START WITH,REMEMBER I STATED APPLES,PEARS AND MOST HARD FRUIT MAKE A VERY DELICATE DRINK,IF YOU BUY A BOTTLE OF APPLES WINE OR PEAR WINE,YOU SHOULD NOTICE THE TASTE IS VERY SUTTLE UNLESS THEY'VE ADDED CONCENTRATES TO THE MIX,SO IF YOU WANT TO MAKE A APPLE CELLO,THEN CONCENTRATED APPLE JUCIES,SIMPLE SYURP,AND EVEVCLEER IF YOU CAN GET IT...

HAVING A REPAIR KIT AROUND WITH ALL THE NECESSARY TOOLS IN IT IS ALWAYS GOOD TO HAVE ON HAND...DID I ANSWER YOUR QUESTION?

FPACS..JOES STYLE

A LONG TIME AGE TEPE CAME TO ME AND ASKD ME TO SHOW HIM AND HE HAS BEEN DOING THEM EVER SINCE AND BEYOND.....

smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
smiley17.gif
IN ITS SIMPLEST OF TERMS ITS EXTRACTING FLAVOR FROM A ITEM AND ADDING IT TO ANOTHER ITEM PRODUCING A FLAVOR DEMENSION THE ORIGINAL ITEM NEVER HAD...,

!. MAKING OF A GOOD FPAC
A. 5LBS OF FRESH FRUIT IN SEASON OF YOUR CHOICE (I LIKE
BERRIES)
B. PLACE IN ALARGER SAUCE PAN(THERE GOES THAT WORD AGAIN) THE BEERIES AND A VERY SMALL AMOUNT OF WATER,JUST TO START THE DESOLVING DOWN OF THE PRODUCE,,KEEP STIRRING OVER LOW HEAT YOU DON'T WANT TO COOK THEM JUST HEAT THEM TROUGH AND DREAK THEM DOWN,,WHEN YOU SEE THAT THE BERRIES ARE FALLING APART,PUT A PINCH OF KMET INTO THE MIX...AND PSORBATE...STIR ITWEELL AFTER A WILL YOU SHOULD SEE THE MIX GET THICKER AND MORE OF A PRESERVE TEXTURE THEN YOU NO YOUR READY.

C. REMOVE SOME OF THE FINISHED WINE TO ACCOMMIDATE THE FPAC.......NOW HERES THE TRICK...ALSO REMOVE THE WINE AND PLACE IT IN A LARGE STERILIZE CONTAINER ..I USE A 8 GALLON WINE FERMENTER IT LOOKS LIKE A BIG WHITE TRASH CAN..ADD THE FRUIT FIRST THEN THE WINE TO TASTE- YOU NEED TO DECIDE WHICH YOU WANT OT BE THE BOSS THE FRIUT OR THE WINE ,IF IT ISTHE FRUIT PLACE THE FRUIT FPAC FIRST IF ITS THE WINE THEN THE WINE GOES IN FIRST ...WHAT EVER THE PREDOMINATETASTE YOU WANT THATS WHAT GOES FIRST THEN ADD THE SECOND ELEMENT ALWAYS TO TASTE ( TASTE AS YOU DO THIS PART OF THE PROCESSS THIS IS THE MOST CRIDICAL PART,IT TO CAN BE CORRECTED BUT YOU DON'T HAVE TO IF YOU TASTE ....GOT IT..LET IT ALL SET FOR 24HRS. THEN BE PREPEAIED TO BOTTLE ..GO AHEAD AND TASTE- IS IT TO YOUR LIKING THEN BOTTLE........PHASE ONE STYLE OF FPACS IS COMPLETED..ANY QUESTIONS...BEFORE PHASE TWO..REMEMBER THE EXTRACTS THIS IS HOW THEY BEGAN........ADDING THEM AT THIS POINT IS A HOLE NOTHER STORY.....................

Sounds great, Joe. I am with you on this. No questions about the process. I do wonder how you decide which fruits to use. I suppose it isjust a matter of taste and what flavors you want in the wine. Keep going.

Its also a question of timing and geographical location and season,I for one are spoiled here in new jersey we have a abundance of fruit in season,unlike some other areas of the country hows life cycle season is short they have to do with what they can when they can,,I don't believe in freezing the fruit to brake down the cellar structure,i want all the juice the berries can give me and by the way 3 different wines i have contact with this the same ,but we all do this differently no ones incorrect its just how i do it,.

Now that you have created your first fpac my style,try just massing up berries and placing them in a wine of the same type what a flavor boost it gives to the host,let them maturate for a month then rack and see the difference they make don't forget to add a pinch of kmet and sulfite to the final ....

by doing this in this fashion I have created such tasty as blackberry pinot noir,raspberry Shiraz,and my own zinfandel pomegranate amongst others,2 different styles of fpacs both have there own way of enhancing the finial out come and both very simple..will continue later.....with making layers of flavor .just like a sauce..........
smiley2.gif

FIX A CAB
smiley19.gif

ok rocky lets talk oak,,,there are all different types that we can us but if you look a a standard kit usually you get a small packet of oak,(doesn't matter what types or degree,and some time powdered oak)

1. standard cabernet
When I oak a wine I usually start with a cup of french oak no matter what they send (if it is really french
smiley2.gif
) no matter what comes with the kit or and iffresh juice tablespoon of either powder chestnuts or oak,that starts the layering process,(remember the sauce) this will get me through primary and secondary fermentation,after racking and checking sg,and the normal routine,I'll let it stand for 1 month then add another layer of powdered oak,this fortifies the body of the wine not the taste, it starts to add body and a better month feel if im not going to do MLF which I normally would not anyway,,,I 'v added oak twice now ,racked a few times (as time goes by)and tasted a little a long the way...if its a six gal. kit this should be enough tannins to cut the edge and add that bit we look for in a good cab....us you oak in layers ,build the flavor don't settle for just what the kit manufacturer wants,start thinking outside the box.I have never used a barrel to much work for me
smiley36.gif
...build upon what they give you...(ps if this were fresh juice I might do the powdered oak again (10 mos.) before bottling ,depending)

Joe, I have to tell you, you are right on with this thread.

Iam also a good cook (that is not just my opinion, but that of many other people). My Mom had four boys, no girls, and our house was the center for all holiday meals. We used to help out in the kitchen, not really cooking but doing all the other stuff. What we did not realize was we were learning just by helping. My Mom never threw anything away. If there was a dish that was not perfect, sheknewof a way to fix it.

It is the same with the wines we make. If they are not everything that we expected them to be, we can fix it if we don't loseour heads.In an earlier post I mentioned that I had made a Sangiovese from a 10 liter kit from Wine Expert and, frankly, I was not crazy about it. Using your (think outside the box) methodology, I got some blackberry jam, nuked about a teaspoon and added it to a bottle of the wne. You have tounderstand that in 69 years on this planet, I have had a lot of wine. I can say, I have never had a store bought wine that tasted as good as this. Thank you, Joe.

There is never a bad wine, just one that is not quite finished. I hope all the Newbies and some of the old timers on this forum take notice.

Ahh,,,

White Lightning... Add a peach to it for a kick.

Latest posts

Back