Hello From Sunny California

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Louie1277

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Just found this site, and so far I love it. I'm new to this whole wine tasting and growing, plus making process. I haven't started yet just doing my research at the moment.

I would like to grown some vines at my house and work from their. Are there any good sites on buying the vines from?

Hopefully I will havea chance to chat with you guys and learn.

Thank you, and have a nice day.
smiley1.gif

Welcome to the forum, Louie

What part of the state do you live in? I was born in San Diego, family in Ventura County, spent 10 years in the West Bay area, married a girl born in San Fernando (fer sure, dude) and inlaws in Pacific Grove, near Monterrey.

Are you going to try a couple of wine kits while you establish your vineyard? Good way to ease into the obsess... er, hobby.

Hello,

How funny. I use to live out in San Fernando Valley in north Hollywood. Now I live out in Moreno valley, about 2 hours away from you. Next week I will be in your part of town since i'm going camping out in the KOA site.

Yes I was planning to get some kits while the vines are growing that way I could understand how they are made.

I'm the type that needs to understand how it gets started...

You might want to send rrawhide a PM asking if he still has any vines. He is a member here and started some cuttings, but he is too late to plant them where he is so he was looking to get rid of them to a good home.

Appleman,
Thank you for the advice... I read one of his post earlier asking if anyone wanted some. I already P.M to see if he had any left over.

Is there a tutorial on growning them or instruction on what to do? Need to know when to trim them or cut them, plus also growning tips.

Tonight I'm going to take some pictures of the place I'm going to grown them in my backyard. I think I will start a blog on my process.

There is a ton of information but you need to dig for it and sort it all out. When you start a post of your own on your vineyard, let us know what you want to do and together we can point you in the right direction.

Louie, You won't find a better tutor than Appleman! Welcome to the forum!

Thanks... I will look around and see what I could find. This weekend I'm going to do a lot of ground work cleaning the area where I'm going to plant my vines that's if I could find some ..lol.

Which section of the forum should I post new thread for newbie?

Louie1277 said:
Which section of the forum should I post new thread for newbie?

That depends on what you need help with at the time. For the vines, go to Home Vineyards, general question go to General Discussion, etc.

Welcome to to forum Louie. There is plenty of helpful people and information on this site. I am new as well and have spent several hours on here just reading and learning. My wife is from CA also, the Marina area i think.
smiley1.gif

Welcome! I wish you the best. I just wish I could grow some grapes out here in Texas. Not so easy. Now the kits are a different story, especially with all the help from the great advice on here.

Well that's so true... With the wine kits it makes it easy. I can't until I start playing around with the wine kits. I think once I start growning them I know it will take a while for them to get big.

In the mean time I will buy some wine kits plus also the proper tools for it. I have a question about the tools for newbies. I think I might post it in a different section.

Latest posts

Back