Hi y'all from Austin, Tx

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

v1rotate

Reaction score
I am a WMTS customer with my 14th kit in Primary. Started this addicting hobby in May of last year and I have 3 more kits waiting for their turn. Retired airline pilot, California native, USNA graduate 1974 (Beat Army!)

I look forward to contributing what I can and asking lots of questions.

I tried to upload 2 jpegs, hope it worked.

Cheers all!

welcome V1rotate! When uploading a pic the file must not have any ?<,.! or $, name it something simple cause for some reason it doesnt like any of that stuff and the file must be smaller then 150 kb's. Its much easier to use photobucket .com which is a free place to store all your pictures. Here is a link for uploading photos you should check out and afree proogram for resizing photos.
<table ="tableBorder" style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr><td rowspan="4" ="msgOddTableSide" valign="top">
20081229_162633_Give_a_Damn.gif

Forum Moderator

Online Status: Online

</td>
<td ="msgOddTableRow" valign="top"> </span> Posted: 07 February 2009 at 10:03pm</td>
</tr>
<tr ="msgOddTableRow">
<td ="msgLineDevider" valign="top" height="150">

<div ="msg" style="overflow: auto; : left;">

Here is a free Windows resizing tool. Once you download it right click on your picture and click on resize.
<t></t><t></t><table style="table-layout: fixed;" align="center" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><t><tr><td rowspan="4" valign="top">

</td>
<td valign="top"></span>
</td>
</tr>
<tr>
<td valign="top" height="150">

<div style="overflow: auto;"></span></span>

Here is the image re-sizer and it works great but only with Windows XP and not Vista</font>.
Depending on the size of the original picture determines weather you
have to resize to large, medium or small to get below the 150 kb size
limit for posting. </font>
</font></font></font></font>
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/digitalphotography/learnmore/tips/eschelman2.mspx</font></font>
</font>
If you are running Windows Vista here is a image resizer</span> that works like the one for XP.</font></font>
</font>
http://www.vso-software.fr/products/image_resizer</span>/</font>

</span></td></tr></t></table></td></tr></t></table>

v1rotate, welcome!!!! I started this addicting habit oct 07. 15 kits (2 on the way), UAV instructor operator, retired Army (beat Navy). :)

uavwmn said:
v1rotate, welcome!!!! I started this addicting habit oct 07. 15 kits (2 on the way), UAV instructor operator, retired Army (beat Navy). :)
Hi, uavwmn. Army, huh? Tough to watch the games lately? ;)

wade said:
There you are! Nice rack Jim!
smiley3.gif
Did I just say that?
smiley36.gif
Thanks, Wade. Actually, the wine rack needs a modification. The bottles tended to slip forward, probably due to vibrations from the washer/dryer on the other side of the wall. I need to prop up the bottom front of the rack so it tilts back a little. Then I will put all the bottles back so it looks nice like the picture. Right now I have most of the bottles in boxes until I get back up to Tahoe to fix-er up.

Live and learn...
smiley18.gif

Hello Jim and welcome from up north (McKinney, TX that is) - - - I started in winemaking last April and have had a fun year with it

Wayne

Vibrations are not good for wine either so if you can pull it away from that wall alittle it would be much better!

Wayne said:
Hello Jim and welcome from up north (McKinney, TX that is) - - - I started in winemaking last April and have had a fun year with it

Wayne
So I suppose you can drive to WMTS? Nice. I've thought about driving up there, but shipping for 3 kits is only about $10 more than gas plus 8 hours of my time.

You started a month before me. How many kits have you made? I'm going to slow down a little this year so I can extend the time frame to 3 months for each of my 3 carboys. That comes to 1 kit per month. That's my plan anyway. Ask me in a year and I will have probably made twice that many!

Hello - yes, the WMTS is actually on my way home so I can stop in when I need something - partial compensation for having to fight the Dallas commuting traffic!

let's see - I think in my first year I did7 kits, 5 5-gallon country fruit wine batchesand 1 little one-gallon batch of table grape wine- so, about one batch a month which is about what I was shooting for. Now its strawberry season again so am looking forward to my second batch of that one - I think I'll be able to do better this time around!

v1rotate,
<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />
Welcome to the forum.
Good to see another pilot in the group.
I got my Private a year ago and my instrument rating last November.

I am flying to Austin (KAUS) this afternoon to see both my kids. Austin is a fun town.

I have my first 3 kits working now with 3 more in the box waiting to be started.

Good luck with your new hobby.
Scott

Scott B said:
v1rotate,</font>
</font></font>
Welcome to the forum. </font>
Good to see another pilot in the group. </font>
I got my Private a year ago and my instrument rating last November. </span></font></font>
</font></font>
I am flying to Austin (KAUS) this afternoon to see both my kids. Austin is a fun town.</font>
</font></font>
I have my first 3 kits working now with 3 more in the box waiting to be started.</font>
</font></font>
Good luck with your new hobby.</font>
</font></font>Scott</span>

Hello, Scott

There seem to be a few pilots on this forum. I wonder what that could mean? I started in May 2008 with 4 kits, then took awhile off waiting to see if they were going to be any good. I have my 16th kit in primary fermentation now with 3 more waiting. I've lurked here for awhile until I had a couple of questions that I wanted a bit more input on than what I got on another forum I am active in (Veteran wine maker there, whoopee!)

Fly safe and ferment fully!

v1rotate said:
Hello, Scott

There seem to be a few pilots on this forum. I wonder what that could mean? I started in May 2008 with 4 kits, then took awhile off waiting to see if they were going to be any good. I have my 16th kit in primary fermentation now with 3 more waiting. I've lurked here for awhile until I had a couple of questions that I wanted a bit more input on than what I got on another forum I am active in (Veteran wine maker there, whoopee!)

I guess it could mean:

1)that there are a lot of winemakers that are flying high!

2)being a pilot leads you to drinking.

3)this is a "pilot program" leading to bigger and better things.

Anybody else know what it could mean?

appleman said:
v1rotate said:
</font></font>Hello, Scott

There seem to be a few pilots on this forum. I wonder what that could mean?</font> I started in May 2008 with 4 kits, then took awhile off waiting to see if they were going to be any good. I have my 16th kit in primary fermentation now with 3 more waiting. I've lurked here for awhile until I had a couple of questions that I wanted a bit more input on than what I got on another forum I am active in (Veteran wine maker there, whoopee!)

I guess it could mean:

1)that there are a lot of winemakers that are flying high!

2)being a pilot leads you to drinking.

3)this is a "pilot program" leading to bigger and better things.

Anybody else know what it could mean?
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

v1rotate,

Welcome to the forum. Active Marine here, stationed in Yuma, AZ but from the Dallas, TX area originally. I once made a pilgrimage to the WMTS while visiting the family, Christmas before last. That's about the time I started this obsession, I mean, "hobby".
smiley2.gif

I was stationed at NAS Dallas earlier in my career, back before they moved it over to JRB Ft Worth. Anyway, I got my private pilot's license back then and flew around DFW for a couple of years. Then I got stationed in Hawaii and had some fun flying around the islands there too. Unfortunately, I haven't flown since 2000 when I left Hawaii.
smiley19.gif

But now I have another hobby to spend my money on and keep me busy.
smiley4.gif

Ken

K&amp;GB said:
v1rotate,

Welcome to the forum. Active Marine here, stationed in Yuma, AZ but from the Dallas, TX area originally. I once made a pilgrimage to the WMTS while visiting the family, Christmas before last. That's about the time I started this obsession, I mean, "hobby".
smiley2.gif

I was stationed at NAS Dallas earlier in my career, back before they moved it over to JRB Ft Worth. Anyway, I got my private pilot's license back then and flew around DFW for a couple of years. Then I got stationed in Hawaii and had some fun flying around the islands there too. Unfortunately, I haven't flown since 2000 when I left Hawaii.
smiley19.gif

But now I have another hobby to spend my money on and keep me busy.
smiley4.gif

Ken
Hi Ken,

USNA 74, 10 years flying P3 Orion's and T34C trainers, mostly at Moffett in Mtn View, Ca. A buddy has an RV-4 which I may get to fly a bit when we move to Tahoe. He will have it at the Truckee airport.

Sounds like you might be getting close to 20 years?

Go Navy! ;)

Jim,

23 yrs in and 7 to go... if I last that long.
smiley26.gif
Tahoe's a beautiful place, at least what I've seen driving through. Gina and I recently drove up to Amador County for a "Behind the Cellar Doors" Wine festival. Gold Country is just down the mountain from Tahoe and really pretty this time of year. We talked about maybe retiring there.

Ken

Latest posts

Back