Learning Process

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAMROD

Reaction score
Well I learned something new today. All I have to check temp. with is my floating thermometer and was going to check temp. and SG today using my Wine thief/Test jar combo. When I slid my thermometer into the wine thief it broke and all the little weight beads filled the bottom of mywine thief which took me about 15 min to get all glass and beads out of. Now before you call me a complete idiot I didn't just drop it in strait up and down I held it sideways put thermometer in then tilted it up until it just started to slide. It took very very little to break this thermometer. From now on the combo thief/sample jar will be setting in the bottle with wine in it before I drop my thermometer or hydrometer.
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley18.gif
smiley7.gif
smiley35.gif
smiley19.gif

If you use glass carboys you can get stick on thermometers. They are fairly accurate and will keep you real close to your desired temp.

Chris.

The stick on thermometers work great and if Geo doesn't have them, you can get them at a pet store, they use them on fish tanks.

I have been useing a noncontact thermometer for my wine making temperature needs...that is when I need to check temps. I use my Raytek [brand name] to check the temps. No sanitzeing needed....Sold in Auto. supply stores...A nice toy to have.

Ramrod, Bert might be on to something. You could get an infared thermometer. Just point shoot and get the temp.

Chris

That might be a little to rich for my taste! How much do they run?

If you find one on sale they are about $65.00 and go up from there. But they are nice and easy, point,pull the trigger and read the temp.

We have one at work for measuring return air temps and such as that. Pretty cool.

Ya I believe they use them on the EMD's at work will have to check it out.

Latest posts

Back