Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernest T Bass

Reaction score
Will Pinot Noir ever Clear? I started a Pinot Noir on 12-6 and moved to the Secondary on 12/11. Racked on top of k-meta and sorbate and degassed on 12/19 and it is still just as dark as the day I racked it and nothing is dropping
out, the bottom of the carboy is just as clean as the day I racked it.
Anybody got any ideas as to how I can start it to clearing.

I backsweetened it ot 1.028 and have de-gassed it three times, but I don't get any CO2. I also added Sparkolloid (3 tsp = 3 gallons of wine), boiled it in 6 oz of water for 20 minutes and added it hot. ?????

Thanks for any advice --- If you say "let it age" at the rate it's clearing I'll be dead and gone before it clears, maybe, my grand kids can drink it then.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Hi, are you saying it's cloudy or dark? Some wine are just dark in color. If your not getting any crud on the bottom of your carboys after all you've done I think your good to go!

Did you try to shine a bright light through it? Can you?

Thanks for the response
Pete, it's soo dark, I don't know if it's cloudy or not

Flem, the brightest lite I have you can't see it thru the wine

I did notice thou, tonite when I sampled it, it left a ring around the glass and tried to stain the glass. It didn't really try to stain the glass, but you could see where the level of wine went down and I drank it, just sipping it, not guzzling it down.

Does that help any?

Thanks

Semper Fi

The "staining" you see does, in fact, sound like sediment sticking to the glass.
I've never used Sparkolloid so I don't know how effectively it works. I've always used SuperKleer (kieselsol and chitosan) with great success. Just a thought. Good Luck!

The pinot noir me and a friend of mine have made was pretty dark as well, but it was pretty clear after about two months from when we started it. I believe we used chitosan though. We couldn't tell for sure it was clear until we had it in a glass.

This wine is a month and a week old. You are in way to big a hurry. I have had plum wine that has taken 6 months to clear. If you must, use more clearing agent. Sparkolloid is not that fast.

Thanks for all the help. It just doesn't seem to be clearing as fast as other wines I have made. I think I'll add some superkleer and let it set for a while before I bottle it.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

There may be more sediment in the bottom of the carboy than you think. I did a WE Sonoma Valley Pinot Noir, which turned out much darker than a Pinot should (looks more like a Barolo than a Pinot). I couldn't see any sediment at all. When I racked it a few days ago, there was more sediment than I had imagined. However, there was no sediment at all caking up the side of the carboy.

Don't know if this is a kit wine or not, but sometimes the kit juice is pretty clean, so not much else besides dead yeast will fall out. The dead yeast will take on the color of the wine, so it is harder to see.

Latest posts

Back