RJ Spagnols Pinot Noir

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2PUPs

Reaction score
I just did this kit a vino del vita Pinot Noir , everything done in primary, except I forgot to add the oak to kit powder . Is it to late to add , and if I can still add to kit , how should it be done , just sprinkle over kit or stir in gently .

jeff

The oak sawdust is best used during primary fermentation and then left behind when racked into secondary. Using it after primary is more difficult, but still can be done. I would hydrate it with a little of the wine from the secondary before adding it, then stir it in. After you have added it, taste the wine every few days until it reaches an oakiness that you like, then rack again. The problem after primary is that it is harder to remove.
Sawdust works quickly because of the enormous amount of surface area it has exposed to the wine. Shouldn't take more than 1-2 weeks at maximum.
Another, cleaner alternative is to add oak beads to the secondary. Still quite a bit of surface area, but easier to control.
Good luck.

It's meant to be added to the primary but you could probably add it during the fining stage. I don't make kits and add oak during the aging process.

Someone will be on to help you. It's not a big deal you did this.

2PUPS...

Are you a real oak fan?

If not, then you could leave it out. Pinot Noir is not a heavily oaked wine anyway, and I know that some Pinot Noir kits do not include oak.

Steve

Back