Hello From Iowa!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lost40Vinter

Reaction score
Hello to all. I am new to winemaking as a maker. My Family has made wine in the past (I was a child then), but I inherited some of my Granfather's equipment and also purchased a 6 gallon kit online. My goal is to make the 6 gallon kit and see how it works out. Then I plan on making some 1 gallon batches from concentrate juice from your super-whatever store until I find what I like. I do have access to wild blackberries, so I will try them once they are in season. I joined the forum to gain knowlege from people that have gone through this before to see what to expect.

Hi Lost40Vinter,

welcome to winemakingtalk

Last edited:
welcome! This is a great place for information. Glad you could join us!

welcome to the forum lost. I live in Allerton Iowa 10 miles from Mo. line center of the state.

Thanks for all the Welcomes!

I just started the finishing prossess of my first batch of wine EVER. I have a White Zinfendel kit that I started earlier this month. I added the powders from the kit (potassim, sparkaloid, F-Pack, etc.) I topped the carboy off with a bottle of blackberry wine from the Amana colonies and a 1.5 bottles of water to get the level just about 2" from the stopper. The wine has a very deep purple color right now and I am anxious to try some later this summer. I had a bottle of Berringer White Zinfendel a week ago and it was very light in color, not as full of flavor as I hoped, and a little dry. I seem to be used to sweeter tasting wines. I purchased some 1 gallon equipment and plan on experimenting with smaller batches. I did see on this forum a recipe for "Skeeter Pee". I had a "what the heck is that" moment about the name, but looks intersting. I have had a friend ask me if I was going to make orange wine. I have never had a citrus wine and don't know what to expect from them. I could use some imput from previous drinkers of this Skeeter Pee.:a1

................ I did see on this forum a recipe for "Skeeter Pee". I had a "what the heck is that" moment about the name, but looks intersting. I have had a friend ask me if I was going to make orange wine. I have never had a citrus wine and don't know what to expect from them. I could use some imput from previous drinkers of this Skeeter Pee.:a1
welcome. If you haven't been to the website yet, check it out. Skeeter Pee The recipe is there and there's lots of info on the FAQ tab.

This forum also has a lot of discussion on the finer points of Pee production. Skeeter Pee Threads on this Forum

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Iowa neighbor I am to the west across the river in Nebraska you have just began a learning adventure enjoy

The Skeeter Pee website was pretty awesome! Now I'm going to have to make a gallon trial batch to see if we like it.

Just my two cents... If you like lemonaide you will like SP. I am on my third batch and I have given away just about all of my first 2 batches and people love it. Do yourself a favor and make the 5 gal batch.. You will not be sorry..

I am expecting a shipment of yeast, sorbate, campden, PH strips, Etc. so that I can make some wine from recipies from scratch. I am going to make a 1 gallon apricot batch and use the goodies from the primary to start a batch of the mutch touted Pee. My wife and I used to make a drink in the summer with pink lemonade and wilderberry schnops. I also enjoy whiskey sours, so the Pee might be right up our alley. I have heard from some of my friends around here that they like a wine made from oranges. Might have to try that one too. I posted a question in another area in here about testing for ph and testing for acid. Do I need to get an acid tester?

:ib

welcome, there are a lot of us Iowans on here, i am from eastern iowa, go Hawks

I am expecting a shipment of yeast, sorbate, campden, PH strips, Etc. so that I can make some wine from recipies from scratch. I am going to make a 1 gallon apricot batch and use the goodies from the primary to start a batch of the mutch touted Pee. My wife and I used to make a drink in the summer with pink lemonade and wilderberry schnops. I also enjoy whiskey sours, so the Pee might be right up our alley. I have heard from some of my friends around here that they like a wine made from oranges. Might have to try that one too. I posted a question in another area in here about testing for ph and testing for acid. Do I need to get an acid tester?

:ib

Acid testing equipment is another tool to improve your wines, but you can make wine without it. You won't need it for Skeeter Pee because I can tell you it's already off the charts. But testing equipment could be useful for other fruit batches you make from scratch.

Welcome. The Skeeter Pee is great! Starting another 5 gallons today. Why? because I have empty bottles and I know I will be thirsty this summer.:sm

Welcome Lost,

Looks like we're from the same town! We should swap recipes sometime.

Thanks
Ben

Hey Ben. Are located near the old lone tree west of Badger? I have a cousin from around there. I just started making wine (a kit) and this weekend I am starting a gallon batch of strawberry wine in order to take the lees off of the strawberry to make some skeeter pee. I have some old recipies from my grandpa, but they are pretty similar to one from some of the books. Is there anyone in our area making wine too?

Have a good one! :D

Latest posts

Back