Clearing Opinion

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevelaz

Reaction score
My Chilean Merlot is at its at 9 months and im getting ready to bottle. I was bulk aging in a 14.5 gallon demijohn and a 3 gallon better bottle. I did a cold stable in dec and its been back in basement since. The taste is excellent and im very happy with it. I am getting ready to bottle, probably next week, so i racked into 3 six gallon better bottles and added kmeta. Going to let sit there for about another week.

While racking i poured a glass and it is excellent in taste and quite clear in the glass. However, when i got to the bottom of the demijon there is a very thin layer i guess you can say muck. Not much at all and very thin, but noticeable.

I wasn't planning on using any clearing agents (duelfine) since i bulk aged for a while and was consistent with racking every 2-3 months.

I want to get some opinions on if i should use a clearing agent on this batch or if i can leave it alone. Thanks.

I bulk age for 2 years so not quite equal, but the question is how upset will you be if you open a bottle in a couple of years and there is a layer of "muck" on the side? For me not a big deal but that is personal. I opened a Napa cab Sunday, 2008 I think, >90 puts, that had a nice crusty layer of tartrates and other muck. Didn't bother me in the least. If you like clean bottles, the fining or filtering is the way to go. Just my $.02.

You should be fine. I normally rack before bottling to get the wine off of the fine film that is on the bottom and never had anything in the bottles.

i bulk aged for a while and was consistent with racking every 2-3 months.

I want to get some opinions on if i should use a clearing agent on this batch or if i can leave it alone. Thanks.

9 months is about the minimum to bulk age and clear without agents. IMHO, just keep racking every 2-3 months until you don't see the dust anymore. The Merlot probably should be 18-24 months before you start drinking it. So that gives you a few more rackings.

9 months is about the minimum to bulk age and clear without agents. IMHO, just keep racking every 2-3 months until you don't see the dust anymore. The Merlot probably should be 18-24 months before you start drinking it. So that gives you a few more rackings.

Well i would like to bulk age longer but im going to need the room if im going to do another batch of Chilean wine which right now i am planning on doing. I really like the Chilean juice! It has been much better than a California juice i did last year.

I really didnt want to treat this batch with any more chemicals than i have to. Im just afraid the super kleer/duelfine will alter the taste. However, i do give a lot away and i want it to be at its best!

So much depends on the type and source of your juice. Most people like to use "Fining" agents on White wines since you can see sediments. Reds are usually relegated to the aging process for various reasons and while some clear just fine in 12 months, others are still dropping after 18 months. If your sediment is simply a thin dusting when you need to bottle, not to worry. Maybe have a decanter handy when you decide to enjoy it, or simply use extra care when pouring. Regardless, it is of little consequence!

Yea, I am not that concerned about the wine that i drink. However, i put nice labels and foil tops on most of them and give em away so id like to see that nothing settles in those as many people will think there is something wrong with it. But like you said it is a minimum dusting that i saw so maybe no big deal. Also, i was thinking of just using the super kleer on just one six gallon and keep track of those to give away. And i can also compare it to another to see if it did alter it at all....

You still have time before Chilean harvest. Were it my wine, I'd let it sit for a month, then rack with the anti-sediment tip on your racking cane and without moving the carboys prior. Leave a little wine behind from each carboy and enjoy that as a post-bottling reward, or combine into a bottle and keep it separate for a while. Even on wines that I've aged for 18+ months, I always do a pre-bottling racking like that, just to be safe.

I do the same as Boatboy24 I try to leave enough for 1/2 to 1 gallon. I age that longer, just for myself. :h

I also keep my racking cane halfway in the carboy, as the wine lowers I gently lower my cane,allowing the last of the carboy for my small reserve.

I do the same as Boatboy24 I try to leave enough for 1/2 to 1 gallon. I age that longer, just for myself. :h

Thats a good idea! At racking I usually tip the carboy/demijohn to get as much as possible to avoid waste. Before i bottle i will leave a half gallon to a gallon behind and let that clear in a jug and use for myself...

What the heck? I decided to use super clear (duelfine) on this batch. Let sit about a week and racked. Yesterday (about a week later) I racked again to get ready to bottle in about a week. Today i went down and looked at the bottom of a carboy with a light and could not believe the sediment still on the bottom, after only one day. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so. I like to figure this out before bottling... Here is a pic.

image2 (1).JPG

What the heck? I decided to use super clear (duelfine) on this batch. Let sit about a week and racked. Yesterday (about a week later) I racked again to get ready to bottle in about a week. Today i went down and looked at the bottom of a carboy with a light and could not believe the sediment still on the bottom, after only one day. Is this normal? I wouldn't think so. I like to figure this out before bottling... Here is a pic.

Anyone? Bueller? Bueller?

That is a lot after fining once already... Maybe something was agitated during racking that stirred it up a little??

Cheers!
-jb

So this picture is after adding clearing agents on an aging batch, sitting a week, racking, sitting another week, racking, and then a day after that???? Agents + 2 weeks + 2 rackings??? Disregard my post. I re-read your post and edited this in.
My new "edited" answer is this ---- I have no clue. Good luck with all of that. Why in the world you get that much on the bottom after everything you've done is illogical. Seems like the wine gods decided to throw you a curveball. And want to see just how bad you want those Demi's emptied before Chilean is ready.

ImageUploadedByWine Making1487713900.599548.jpg

Never used superKleer. But I think it has similar characteristics as chitosan and kieselsol, sparkleoid. If this is indeed the case, then yes, that sediment is supposed to be there. It is the product itself.
I'm sure chemists will read this with smoke coming out of their ears, but I'll do my best. These clearing agents when added to wine will seem like they turn into solid grainy type material floating around in there. And the chemical makeup of this stuff gives it the ability to "bind" with any unwanted's still currently in the wine. So after adding and mixing it up, the clearing agent will grab as much crap as it can on its way down to the bottom. So all the stuff on the bottom is the clearing agent along with the any unwanted grime that they grabbed ahold of on the way to the bottom.
And it is my understanding that all of these clearing agents require a racking after use. Maybe a few days to a week after. But it looks like all the work is done in the first hour to me at least. I guess the remaining days are for the last little bit of stubborn clearing agents to drop and get the most out of the product.

Last edited:
Yep. The superkleer/duelfine is supposed to clear very quickly. Like i said, i waited a week after adding duelfine, racked, waited another week, racked again still that sediment only thing i can think of is that the clearing agent is not finished?

Last time I used chitosan I mixed it in - waited a week - racked... And still got a dusting on the bottom. It's gotta age for months yet though so no worries... Your's looks like an inch or so though which does seem like a lot..

Cheers!
-johann

It actually look worse than it is. What your looking at is the corner where it built up.

Latest posts

Back