Using homemade juice instead of wine kit juice.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

911_laurab

Junior
Reaction score
Well here it goes! Very Black Cherry wine kit but with thawed homemade Raspberry juice pressed and squeezed by Mom this summer. The Very Black Cherry Juice from the kit went to Mom to make jelly! Asked the wine making store how much juice I needed and they said 7L. Ooops got the kit and only needed 5.4L. I still put in the full 7L of Rasp juice and boy does it smell good!! I hope this works out. A little scared as the SG is to be 1.05 to 1.06 and mine read 1.01. We will see what the SG is after 14 days. I think it will be just fine. Will be interesting to see what colour the wine will be when bottled. The juice looks like fresh oxygenated blood. Nice bright red. Also the juice itself is not clear either wonder what that will do during the next stage of stabilizing and clearing the wine. Will keep you posted. First is to see if the yest will react in the next couple of days.

Well here it goes! Very Black Cherry wine kit but with thawed homemade Raspberry juice pressed and squeezed by Mom this summer. The Very Black Cherry Juice from the kit went to Mom to make jelly! Asked the wine making store how much juice I needed and they said 7L. Ooops got the kit and only needed 5.4L. I still put in the full 7L of Rasp juice and boy does it smell good!! I hope this works out. A little scared as the SG is to be 1.05 to 1.06 and mine read 1.01. We will see what the SG is after 14 days. I think it will be just fine. Will be interesting to see what colour the wine will be when bottled. The juice looks like fresh oxygenated blood. Nice bright red. Also the juice itself is not clear either wonder what that will do during the next stage of stabilizing and clearing the wine. Will keep you posted. First is to see if the yest will react in the next couple of days.

Very confused about what is actually happening here, did you substitute raspberry juice for the kit's concentrated juice bag, and make jelly with the concentrated juice bag?

Is your SG really 1.01?

If you are using pure juice in place of the concentrate that comes in wine kits, that would explain your low SG. The concentrate in kits has been processed and a large amount of water has been removed. If you used straight fruit juice and also added the water that the kit calls for, you would really dilute the juice rather than reconstituting it as in a kit.

As Johnd states, I am not sure what you are doing or trying to do but I would be happy to help.

If you haven't added the yeast yet you need to add some sugar to get the sg up to around 1.080. The way it is now, you are only going to have an ABV of around 2%. Sorry but that isn't a wine. Why didn't you just make a fruit wine instead of trying to switch out the fruit in a kit?

Sounds interesting. I'd love to hear about the jelly your mom makes.
You might want to add some sugar to boost the SG. You can do it now, even if you've already added the yeast.

Sounds, interesting, but somethin ain't right. Hopefully you didn't add water to your Mom's fruit juice and your sg reading is off. You said it's bright red, so I'm thinking you didn't.

Ya I added water just like the kit. I have corn sugar and will add at the second stage like I always do to up the % lol. It is bright red because of the juice. Mom picked raspberries and squeezed them until she got 7L of juice. LOL I just wanted the black cherry jelly! If it doesn't work and the % stays low then Vodka added to the glass can always help! Haha oh and the yest is already reacting. Had a look at it this am.

Last edited:
You will need to keep an eye on this, that low of an alcohol that must will spoil in a heartbeat! Check our homewinery.com, they sell concentrates you could use if you want to make jelly.

Latest posts

Back