Bottling some today, just because.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCal

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
15 gallons of Chard from grapes have been aging and clearing since the end of August. I've been trying to degass the wine for the past few weeks, bringing the wine inside, storing under vacuum. I think we are 80% degassed on two of the carboys, which I'm comfortable with.

There really isn't anything pushing me to bottle, except that I'll be entering in the State Fair in 4 weeks and I want to be sure it's over any bottle shock.

I'll use my little hand vacuum made bottler, since it is only a few cases. It will also give it one more vacuum pull to rid more of the CO2. Pics to follow.

Don't forget to send a bottle to everyone who replies :)

Have fun, best of luck in the State Fair.

What is this "little hand vacuum made bottler" that you speak of? Something you made?

Send my bottle when you send one to either @AZMDTed or @Boatboy24 , I'm sure I'll see one of them in the next few months and can pick it up then. Good luck at the Fair!

Did two of the carboys in short order. I didn't break out the big guns, used a little vacuum bottler I made. 20-30 seconds per bottle v. 15 seconds for my other filler. 1/4 inch tubing, evacuates the bottle, pulls wine into the bottle. I put my thumb over the hole in the connector (cut off T connector fro a sprinkler drip line). I didn't have a safety container, so I had to really pay attention to the level as it was filling.

Back