Soooo much CO2!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I didn't think it was an issue for me; I make wine from fresh picked grapes and age. This is first white, so I get it that I need to degas after 5-6 months. However, I opened a red from last year, which spent 11 months in barrel and sure enough, there was CO2 present. I'm not having any of that this year. I spend too much time and money to not have the wine taste the best it can be.

Typically, what I do with my "from grapes" wine, is after AF and MLF have completed (still in my 75F fermenting area), the wines get racked onto sulfite into new carboys, and are not full due to the lees left behind. I vacuum degas right then and there, before topping and moving the wines into the 55F wine room for barrel and / or bulk aging. Haven't had any gas issues at all..........

However, I opened a red from last year, which spent 11 months in barrel and sure enough, there was CO2 present.

The "CO2 Eliminator"

Happens with store bought wines too! But, in that case the wine just needs to "breathe so it can open up and bloom" which translated to home wine makers jargon means "let it sit and fart out all that CO2...and give it a good shake".

I am more concerned with temps when degassing than almost any other time in the process. Have you found a sweet spot for temp? I know your cellar is temp controlled...is it below 70 degrees?

This goes out to everyone on this forum , if you have any questions or concerns at all - please PM me with a phone number and a good time to call and I will do my best to get back with you

Happens with store bought wines too! But, in that case the wine just needs to "breathe so it can open up and bloom" which translated to home wine makers jargon means "let it sit and fart out all that CO2...and give it a good shake".

I am more concerned with temps when degassing than almost any other time in the process. Have you found a sweet spot for temp? I know your cellar is temp controlled...is it below 70 degrees?

Yes, in the winters it is in the mid 50's, summer mid 60's, never above 69.

Ken

Latest posts

Back