Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Beginners Wine Making Forum > Wine is changing color in secondary (getting darker)

Old 01-11-2017, 11:41 AM   #11
crwagner89

Dec 2016
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I'm curious about your recipe. I made 2 tomato wines last year and they ended up looking like white grape wine. Crystal clear and a light yellowish/gold color. Basically the complete opposite of yours. Do you mind sharing the recipe?

hounddawg Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 12:15 PM   #12
Stressbaby
Just a Member

Aug 2012
Liked 369 Times on 277 Posts
Likes Given: 173

A specific gravity would be helpful. It is not likely still fermenting, but knowing whether it is dry or not could be helpful, particularly prior to topping up.

Crush the campden tab in a small bit of wine or water (don't worry about color at this point, temporary color changes from addition of Kmeta are ok) and add it and go ahead and top up.

Here is a blog page from Keller explaining the powdered milk.

Old 01-11-2017, 02:56 PM   #13
D-Wine

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Hey crwagner89;
The color you describe is what tomato wine should be, sounds like you were doing it right. I started with tomatoes that a friend grew, different stages of ripeness as you can see from the image attached. I also didn't have raisins or white grape juice, which I think is what I should have used, so I threw in red grape concentrate.

I think my final recipe looked like this:
4lbs tomatoes
2.5lbs granulated sugar
2 lemons (juice of)
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
champagne yeast
1 gallon water
campden tablet
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1 can frozen grape concentrate (I suspect this is where the color came from. I also acknowledge that this ingredient was overkill, and I kind of regret adding it).

Note: I'll wait to see what the end result is and I'll let you know if there's any value in replicating it (probably not). what recipe did you use?
IMG_3965.jpg  

crwagner89 Likes This 
Old 01-11-2017, 05:15 PM   #14
crwagner89

Dec 2016
Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Ok, that makes total sense then. The red grape is definitely where the color comes from. Knowing that, I would guess that the change in color is mostly due to the sediment dropping out. Keep in mind yeast is pretty light in color (usually an off white) so when that dies off and falls out of the mixture, it's going to get much darker.

I did 2 different batches, one from red tomatoes and one from orange tomatoes. Mine were very similar to yours, minus the grape concentrate. Also I used acid blend instead of lemon juice. So far I like the orange tomato more than the red. It tastes like a pinot grigio with a tomato aftertaste. People are really surprised with how good it tastes. The red tomato is also good, but the tomato taste is much more potent. The orange tomatoes that I used were these little cherry sized tomatoes. They were super sweet and not very acidic. I'm thinking next year I'm going to grow a bunch of them and make a big batch. The 2 on the left are the tomato wines.

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0036.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	119.2 KB
ID:	33453

I don't think the red grape concentrate was necessarily a bad idea, only time will tell. Let us know how it comes out!

Old 01-12-2017, 09:49 AM   #15
D-Wine

Jan 2017
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Love the set up. Will keep you posted!

Old 05-06-2017, 08:25 PM   #16
DanielW

May 2017
Likes Given: 14

So..........Is tomato wine really a thing? How does it taste? Would you continue to make it? I will have more tomatoes then I know what to do with in about a month.

Old 05-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #17
DanielW

May 2017
Likes Given: 14

Is it more for a cooking sauce maybe?

Old 05-06-2017, 11:52 PM   #18
hounddawg
dawg

Oct 2014
Liked 250 Times on 191 Posts
Likes Given: 1318

OK
all the above venter's are very smart and it will pay you to learn from them, but if you are looking for proof positive facts you will need to bottle two ofe each then send me the bottles so that I might give you some educated advice,
PS..
don't listen to them if they say I am only after your wines, I want the bottles as well. as president Nixon once said TRUST ME AND LET ME MAKE ONE THINK CLEAR TO YOU
BLAH, BLLH BLALH, YATA, YATA, YATA, THANK YOU MY FELLOW PATIORTS ,,,
DAWG

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Wine View Post
Hello!
I am making a tomato wine (from tomatoes, not from juice). I didn't follow a specific recipe, I looked at several recipes and improvised. Also, I didn't measure anything although I own a hydrometer (I know, I know...I'll be better next time).

So, I've racked the wine twice since moving it to secondary fermentation. Yesterday I was looking at photos of the wine from when I first moved it to secondary, and I was shocked by how dark the wine has become after just two months.

Does this look normal to you guys? Is it oxidization? Why is it so dark and how can I fix it?

Some info: My apartment is very cold. I used green and red tomatoes. There is a delicious smell coming from the wine. The wine isn't getting clearer (still opaque). Image attached.
KNOW YOUR BIBLE, LET NOT THOu BE LEAD ASTRAY BY THE WICKED,,,''' ALWAYS DO THE LEADING DOWN THE WIDE CROOKED PATH ON THE HYWAY TO HELL YOU'LL GET THERE ALOT QUICKER IF THATS THE PATH YOU HAVE CHOSEN, THAT WAY IT IS YOUR OWN FAULT,,