Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > Wine Cellar & Storage Forum > New Wine Room

Old 12-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #261
Boatboy24
No longer a newbie, but still clueless.

Mar 2012
Liked 3210 Times on 2017 Posts
Likes Given: 5626

Damn, that's sexy!!!

BROAD RUN CELLARS

Johnd Likes This 
Old 12-19-2016, 08:50 PM   #262
Amanda660
Haven't met a grape I didn't like!

Nov 2014
Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 140

Is that a little wine barrel trash can to the far left?

Old 12-19-2016, 08:55 PM   #263
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015
Liked 1193 Times on 715 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda660 View Post
Is that a little wine barrel trash can to the far left?
Yes, it is. I contacted North American Barrel and inquired into used or defective barrels that had been returned. Picked it up for $20, cut the head out, and voila! Trash can. Still smells like bourbon too.

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 12-19-2016, 09:05 PM   #264
Amanda660
Haven't met a grape I didn't like!

Nov 2014
Liked 96 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 140

I'm just a little jealous of the trash can but SUPER jealous of the whole project. Thanks so much for sharing!

Johnd Likes This 
Old 01-05-2017, 08:48 AM   #265
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

So, despite all of my pre Christmas hinting to the Mrs., Santa didn't bring me the table and chairs that would complete the wine room. Taking matters into my own hands (plus a sale!), just ordered this set for the room. Very excited to receive them..........in 6-8 weeks.
IMG_0737.jpg  

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy. - Benjamin Franklin

People Like This 
Old 01-05-2017, 08:57 AM   #266
Brickhouse

Dec 2016
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Just went through every page of this thread. Incredible. Well done to say the least.

Johnd Likes This 
Old 01-05-2017, 09:19 AM   #267
NorCal

Apr 2014
Liked 755 Times on 393 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Very nice. I like the industrial / fictional look.

Johnd Likes This 
Old 01-05-2017, 11:43 AM   #268
ibglowin

Jul 2009
Liked 3220 Times on 1867 Posts
Likes Given: 966

Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnd View Post
just ordered this set for the room. Very excited to receive them..........in 6-8 weeks.

Disclaimer:
The opinions expressed in this forum are strictly my own,
and should not be construed as the opinion or policy
of WineMakingTalk.com or its owners

"Killing grapes one cluster at a time since 2009" - Visit the Château!

Old 01-05-2017, 04:47 PM   #269
Johnd
Middle Aged Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibglowin View Post
Let me know how you like it once it arrives, especially the build quality (for that kind of $$$). Everything I have ever ordered from that site has been very poor quality. Just this Holiday I ordered some Xmas ornaments with my winery name on them. Not cheap ($35 ea). I thought I was getting laser etching but instead it was just stamped on the ornament. I was able to smear the "customization" right off with my thumb..... I also ordered a custom cellar sign. Again very shoddy work and the wood feels almost like balsa wood, so fragile if you breath on it it may break..... Ordered a set of "Madmen" style highball glasses several years ago, again same thing very poor quality. Glass was full of defects and the shiny steel rim along the top was all tarnished and colored. I called and complained and they refunded my $$$ and said to keep the glasses as a "gift".....
I'll definitely do that. I'm really uncomfortable buying stuff that I can't see in person and touch. Therefore, I called and spoke with the salesman (I know his job is to sell) about the pieces, he confirmed that he'd sat on the stools and that they were very sturdy, as well as the table. All of the table base components are cast iron and very heavy, table doesn't wobble on the long spindle that supports it, you know the drill. I'm a skeptic until I see it in person..........but it looks nice in the picture and should work well in the room from a space standpoint.

People Like This 
Old 01-16-2017, 06:30 PM   #270
Casper137
I have short hobbit legs and far too many children.

Aug 2014
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Wowzers! Great Project.

I probably should have built a wine room instead of the 600 square foot deck we just had built since I live in snow country and only get to use the deck half the year.

Quote:
Had a little free time this morning at 6 AM before baseball playoffs and yard work, cut 50 verticals and 1500 bottle supports, whipped out a few frames and set / fastened them in place. It's a meager start, but I've got the kinks worked out. Just need to put in the hours now........
Quote:
OK, feet back on terra firma, dug up my old sketches from the conceptual phase, sketch attached. I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat, but this is my way.

The attached is for your normal run of the mill 750 ml Bordeaux bottle, which is what I use for all of my wine (other than the occasional 375), green for reds, clear for whites, rose', etc. The verticals are 1x2 nominal dimensions, the 1/2 x 1/2 bottle holders are exactly 1/2 x 1/2. Distance between the verticals is 3.25", distance between the bottle holders is 3". It's efficient spacing, but not too crowded. If you wanted to tighten up the 3" between bottle holders, there is a little room to do so, but it may throw off your horizontal alignment if you have larger bottles to accomodate.

I also have some racks to handle larger bottles, and I wanted all bottles to line up horizontally, so everything is the same except the distance between the verticals, which was increased to 3-13/16", this accommodates the largest 750's I have, and because the bottle holders are all at 3" spacing, the normal and larger bottles all line up horizontally. If you tightened up the 3" bottle holder spacing for the regular 750's too much, the bigger bottles wouldn't fit well even though the verticals were spaced out to 3-13/16". Clear as mud?

Don't go too tight, or you'll risk tearing the labels off of your bottles.

I'm planning to build this EXACT setup in my "wine room" which is really just the far end of my 50 foot long bowling alley of a bedroom which the wife just loves the smell of yeast. (I think that came out wrong).

I saw you posted some dimensions in a post but was wondering if I could get a few more details.

I was planning going about ~7 foot wide and ~7 foot high with a ~2 foot by ~2 foot open space for display with a shelf.

It looks like you utilized the existing studs for reinforcement with the backing board?

Did you assemble all the bottle holders to the vertical with screws? or a nail gun?

Thanks so much in advance John.