corks blowing

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled some blackberry wine and I have had 4 corks blow in a 24 hour time frame. It has been bottled 4 about a month now. I dont know if they are to full some of them are way fuller than others but all levels of fullnes are blowing. Was in carboy for about 2 1/2 months b4 I bottled it. Didnt have layin flat till this afternoon when I finished my wine rack. 3 blew b4 and now 1 after being put flat. They have all kinds of air bubbles comming to top after they blow. Can they be uncorked and some drained out then recorked? What can i do to stop this. Wife is blowing her cork. Room temp is about 70 degrees. Dont have a cooler place to store them. Thanks for any sugestions.

Hurry up and drink it all before all corks blow::

DoctorCAD said:
Degassing wouldn't make the corks blow out, it would only render the wine fizzy and acidic.

You must still have some sugars and yeast leftover in your wine.

Did you take final SG readings and stabilize?

Dissolved carbon dioxide will almost never cause corks to blow unless you were able to bottle under pressure with champagne levels of co2... Highly unlikely.

You prob have refermentation in the bottle.

Isn't this sparkling wine? I just had the cork blow out of a bottle of skeeter pee a half hour ago and found this thread by searching for solutions. I like the fizzy bite so I just put what was left in the fridge for tonight. I'm thinking of putting wires on the bottles to keep the corks in like champagne. :)

Isn't this sparkling wine? I just had the cork blow out of a bottle of skeeter pee a half hour ago and found this thread by searching for solutions. I like the fizzy bite so I just put what was left in the fridge for tonight. I'm thinking of putting wires on the bottles to keep the corks in like champagne.
@stickman is correct -- if the pressure exceeds the strength of the wine bottle, it can explode. This is not a fairy tale or a myth, it is plain 'ole physics.

If you want a sparkling wine, make it on purpose so you know how much priming sugar is used, and use champagne or cappable beer bottles, which are designed to handle the pressure.

Latest posts

Back