Register Now!

Wine Making & Grape Growing Forum > Wine Making > General Wine Making Forum > Bentonite at the beginning

Help Support Winemaking Talk by donating using the link above or becoming a Supporting Member.

Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Ceegar

May 2009

I recently started a kit that had me add a Bentonite solution to the primary before adding the juice to it. I thought Bentonite was a clearing agent and is added after fermentation. Can we do this for all other wines or is it specific to certain kits?

Old 06-15-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 179 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 37

There are numerous types of Bentonite. Some may perform better when added pre-fermentation, others when added post-fermentation.

My understanding is that when added pre-ferm, less bentonite is required and less stirring is required because the fermentation will cause the bentonite to circulate in the must/wine. Also bentonite assists the yeast to circulate (provides nucleation sites) and thus helps to create a quicker more complete fermentation.

BTW, bentonite attracts proteins thus reducing protein haze.

Steve

Gael Likes This 
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #3
Wade E
Premium

Jul 2006
Liked 254 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use it in the beginning to make sure i dont get a protein haze and to help get some solids out of suspension so that when i rack to secondary there will be less of the lees that can spoil a wine if it sat there too long. Basically what cp said!

Old 06-15-2009, 04:27 PM   #4
Sacalait

Dec 2006
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I add it to the secondary while there is still fermentation taking place. As was said the fermentation helps to better distribute it throughout.

Old 06-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #5
cpfan

Nov 2006
Liked 179 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacalait View Post
I add it to the secondary while there is still fermentation taking place. As was said the fermentation helps to better distribute it throughout.
Usually when my wine hits the carboy there isn't much fermentation happening. So this wouldn't work for me.

Steve

Old 06-15-2009, 07:33 PM   #6
Sacalait

Dec 2006
Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

My idea is to get it off the gross lees early (fruit wine) around S.G.1.015. There is still some action going on (4-5 days worth) and plenty enough to fill any void spaces with CO2. I've had some issues in the past where I'd waited a little too long before transferring on strawberry wine. It had a medicinal taste that I attributed to gross lees. If you think I'm wrong then set me straight, at this point I'm groping for answers.

Old 06-15-2009, 07:38 PM   #7
Wade E
Premium

Jul 2006
Liked 254 Times on 199 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are fruits that spoil much faster like strawberries and especially melons. So you may be right there Sacalait. Kiwis also seem to go rancid faster.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Luc
Dutch Winemaker

Nov 2006
Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Sacalait the medicine flavor is a problem that occurs every now and then in winemaking.
Generally that problem occurs when a wine is made in a low acid environment.

I had once the same problem when I made a pineapple wine from canned pineapples. That one had low acid so the problem was clear for me in that particular case.

I do think strawberries have a very low acidity so that might be your problem.

Luc

Old 06-16-2009, 05:35 PM   #9
Ceegar

May 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luc View Post

I do think strawberries have a very low acidity so that might be your problem.

Luc
I currently have a 1 gal strawberry batch going. I added 1.5 tsp of acid blend, which is a little more than the other fruit wines I've done. Do you think that was enough tp prevent that from happening to my batch?

Old 12-29-2015, 09:18 AM   #10
applelover12

Dec 2015
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

But bensonite is a clearing (fining) agent?!
When added its supposed to settle at the bottom with impurities AND yeast - am I right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade E View Post
I use it in the beginning to make sure i dont get a protein haze and to help get some solids out of suspension so that when i rack to secondary there will be less of the lees that can spoil a wine if it sat there too long. Basically what cp said!