Mosti Mondiale Vinifera Noble

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fivebk

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I just got done starting the Vinifera Noble Castel Del Papa Kit . Since I am not quite sure what wines I may like I decided to start a lower end kit . my theory with this is if I like the kit then my next attempt at it will be with a high end kit. I have made 12 wines to date and only two have been kits.I have only been at this hobby ( or should I say obsession ) since sept. of 08. I also have on deck the Vinifera Noble Liebfraumilch. I think my wife will enjoy that one ( even though I don't know how to pronounce it to her )
smiley36.gif
I'll keep everyone informed on how these go.

BOB

I have been happy with all the Vinifera Noble kits I have made. On the one hand they are fairly early drinkers and on the other, if you give them time, they become very good. I have learned a lot with the Vinifera Noble kits. I am looking forward to your future reports.
smiley1.gif

I am going to try one out. I just ordered the merlot kit from George. It will be my first Mosti kit. BTW you pronounce it "Leeb-Fro-Milk"

Well usually I dont recommend these smaller kits but i have not tried these Mosti kits as far as reds go(just one white) but have heard that these are the exception without having a grape pack included as far as having some body which most smaller kits dont have. It may not be a powerhouse but for the size and $ Ive heard they give you a decent bang for your buck.

I have done the Cabernet, the Zinfandel, and The Barolo. My wife thought the Cabernet was great until she tried the Barolo (bulk aged for eight months.) She now says it is her favorite. I think they are all very good but the Barolo is great.

I think Appleman made 2 Amarones of which 1 he made into a Port. Now that I wrote that I believe he gave me 1 of those Amarones and I still have to try it!

Wade, George recommended a VN kit to me earlier in the year. Since then I have made 3 or 4 VN kits. They all have turned out very good. However, I did not drink them early and all were a yr old or more.
smiley4.gif

wade said:
I think Appleman made 2 Amarones of which 1 he made into a Port. Now that I wrote that I believe he gave me 1 of those Amarones and I still have to try it!

Wade, Appleman used the Renascence Amarone for his port, at least I'm pretty sure he did with out searching through the forum. I have made the Renascence Amarone and its terrific, but my Showcase CC Amarone already matches it and its only 10 months old. Still its a great kit and I would certainly recommed it to anyone. Actually the Mosti kits with raisins are outstanding.
I wish they would just sell the raisins!
VC

vcasey is right, it was the Rennaissance kit that I used and that has the raisins in it. The other one was the all juice bucket without raisins. They really made a huge difference. Check out JimCook's preview of Mosti's grape pack. Hopefully this will be available for sale in the future.

Whoops! I have been watching that post pretty often Rich and trul hope they offer it separate.

My first kit was the Vinifera Noble Castel Del Papa Kit. I've been hooked ever since. It turned out great. It gets better with age. The write up is in here somewhere.

From this line I have made a Pape & 2 Baroque Rouge - both are very tasty. My wife is from Germany and says these kits fall into the style of nice wines that Europeans drink daily. At their price who can complain?

Racked my Castel Del Papa to glass 3 days ago.

Here are some pics

20091122_213306_DSCN3316_Small.JPG
20091122_213339_DSCN3317_Small.JPG
20091122_213359_DSCN3318_Small.JPG

BOB
smiley20.gif

Looks great!

OK, I'll ask the question, what in the world is Casta del Papa made from?

Sounds like either a Spanish table wine or perhaps Chilean table wine?

I think george told me it's to resemble a French (Chateau De Paup) Sorry about the spelling and don't hold me to this I may be wrong. From what it tastes like already it was just what I was looking for. I fruit forward dry red.

BOB

I believe it is the MM name for Chateauneuf du Pape. Other kit companies call it Vieux Chateau du Roi, but apparently MM doesn't belong to the CHWTA (who owns that trademark).

Steve

Castel del Papa is a version or derivative of Chateaneuf du Pape, which translates roughly to the Pope's new castle - as in the Avignon, France papacy in the 1300s (?) when it was moved out of Rome for a time. The vineyards around the Pope's castle came to be highly regarded and also a significant source of Church funds.

Most of this info. is from my memory of the Wikipedia article, so I won't swear by it, but I think it is right.

The history of winemaking and associated culture is lengthy and fascinating, IMHO.

Bart

Wine Spectator has a great article about Chateauneuf De Pape this month. A good read about the Northern vs. Southern Rhone Valley and the wines made in those regions.

Latest posts

Back