Mold in my carboy!!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burningalive

Reaction score
So 2 nights ago I went to get ready to rack my White Merlot into a second carboy when I saw some mold spots in the bottom! This made me quite nervous. I cleaned it out with soap and water with the bottle brush, then put about 3 inches of sanitizer in it sealed it and left it for about 3 hours. Rinsed it checked it out and then racked the wine over. I'm still nervous! Do I have anything to worry about?

What kind of sanitizer did you use? I would guess you'd be fine as long as you thoroughly cleaned off all of whatever that was growing in there and then sanitized it.

To prevent this from happening, I keep about an inch of k-meta solution in the bottom of all empty carboys. Place either a solid bung or an airlock on it. When ready to rack into it, be sure to dump out the k-meta, let drain and then fill. To be sure that you remember to dump it out and that it has something in it, you could put a bit of food coloring in the k-meta.

You cleaned it alright and will be fine.

I love storing carboys with K-meta in them. It means they're all ready go when it's time to rack!

Thanks guys. I will assume that all is fine with the wine. Also I already have my other one with a couple of inches of kmeta in the bottom, so I will defenatly do that from now on. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back