Do you loan equipment out?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Recall that the OP was not talking about a normal tool like a $20 hammer you could purchase at a Sears or ACE Hardware store. He was talking about large, heavy, expensive (most often imported from the EU) piece of wine making equipment.

You drop a Macro bin and crack the bottom. You can no longer use it as a fermentation vessel as it now has a huge hole in the bottom and leaks. You break something off a crusher/destemmer and the part has to be more than likely ordered from the manufacturer...... IN ITALY..........

Same thing with a press. Break it at the wrong time and you could be hosed for this harvest as the part will not arrive in time.

Accidents can and do happen. They also tend to happen at the worst possible time quite often.

One of these things is not like the other!

31XS3IKxtNL.jpg

estrujadora-despalilladora-acero-inoxidable_B.jpg

I know very few people who need to borrow a hammer. I am talking about and have lent my chipper-shredder ($450), table saw ($500), a wine press (many times and always returned cleaner than when it left my place), my car (Acura RL), my wife's car (Acura TL), mower ($750+), edger ($250), etc. I should also note that I have borrowed some fairly expensive and not easily replaced things like a Dodge pick up ($30,000?). Now, I should qualify that I don't lend this stuff to any Tom, Richard or Harry, but to people I know, I trust and who I am sure know how to use the tool.

Years ago when we were first married, we lived in a "first time homeowner" neighborhood. We were mostly young, fresh out of school and working our first jobs. No one had a lot of disposable income so the Homeowners Association organized a "Tool Pool" where in people could list items they were willing to lend to other neighbors. We had just about everything new homeowners needed. It worked great and I don't recall any major issues with the system. It certainly helped when we were starting out not to have to buy all that stuff, particularly things needed for one time or annual use.

I know very few people who need to borrow a hammer. I am talking about and have lent my chipper-shredder ($450), table saw ($500), a wine press (many times and always returned cleaner than when it left my place), my car (Acura RL), my wife's car (Acura TL), mower ($750+), edger ($250), etc. I should also note that I have borrowed some fairly expensive and not easily replaced things like a Dodge pick up ($30,000?). Now, I should qualify that I don't lend this stuff to any Tom, Richard or Harry, but to people I know, I trust and who I am sure know how to use the tool.

Years ago when we were first married, we lived in a "first time homeowner" neighborhood. We were mostly young, fresh out of school and working our first jobs. No one had a lot of disposable income so the Homeowners Association organized a "Tool Pool" where in people could list items they were willing to lend to other neighbors. We had just about everything new homeowners needed. It worked great and I don't recall any major issues with the system. It certainly helped when we were starting out not to have to buy all that stuff, particularly things needed for one time or annual use.

Hey Rocky, sounds like you've had some good success with lending things out and getting them generally returned in good order. I've had some horrible experiences and that tends to make any future requests a little distasteful. My car was wrecked (thankful for insurance but the guy who borrowed it wouldn't even pony up the deductible), my tools were "stolen", most of the garden tools I've lent came back dirty or broken ... if they came back at all. Books? They NEVER come back.

But I've also been on the other end. When I was first married we rented a house from my best friend's mother. He offered to let me borrow his lawnmower. He told me it didn't work really well but that I could use it if I returned it that same day. Over the course of the summer, I cleaned it, sharpened the blade several times, changed the oil, replaced the spark plug, painted it, replaced the pull cord after HE broke it, replaced a cracked plastic wheel, adjusted the throttle to make it run better, always returned it that same day and by late September it was practically a new mower. I always filled it with fuel before returning it.

He asked me if I needed to borrow anything else he owned ... :h

That's just how my Dad raised me but my experience is that not everyone was raised by my Dad. Even my brother (who was!) has a bad habit of forgetting that he borrowed something from me or our Dad! Seriously. Not kidding ...

They can pick up a small press and crusher for $300 which is more than enough for the average wine maker. - and it will last forever if you take care of it.

I would stick to your guns on the equipment.

They can buy $20 brutes and load their grapes up to bring to you.. But I wouldn't allow it to leave the property unless you're going to be accompanying it.

I have a similar policy for "co-signing on loans".

I would rather loan you money than loan you my signature..

The aggravation of "owing a favor" isn't worth it to me. Plus after searching around I found rentals for great prices.
Per day
5gal oak press- $20
40 L bladder press - $35
90 L bladder press - $40
Manual crusher - $20
Motorized crusher/destemmer - $35

If you can't afford the supplies for the amount of wine you're trying to make you probably move no business doing it..

Yes but.... My neighbor and I
make wine. He borrows my press. Never a problem. Another party, actually start up commercial, ask to use my destemer, No.

My neighbor knows where my shop keys are if I'm not home. Has borrowed tools when I'm gone. Not a problem. Anyone else... No.

Just know who and where your stuff is. What condition it will come home in.

Back