New (to me) California Grape Supplier

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’ve been buying from West Coast Grapes for the past 3 years and while I’ve felt it was expensive I hadn’t been able to find an alternate source. I came across a company, F. Colavita and Sons, headquartered in Sacramento with a main warehouse near Fresno (about 220 miles from me) and got their price list.

HOLY COW! I’ve been paying from 63.00 to 74.00 for a lug of No. Cal. Cabernet and Pinot Noir grapes. For 6 gals of Cab juice plus 6 lugs of grapes I was looking at $530.00 to make 18 gallons of finished wine.

I can buy Cabernet grapes for 32.25 at Colavita and using ALL GRAPES - not adding in the juice to save a little money - make 18 gallons for about 280.00. I think I’ll keep my budget the same but make much better and more wine this year. I think a tank of gas and 8 hours drive time will be well spent for this difference.

Lori’s already let me know that because I’ll have saved so much she wants, additionally, her own carboy of north coast Pinot Noir. DARN HER DEMANDS! WORK WORK WORK.

Mike

I can attest that they are very good quality and make excellent wines. FVW down in Dallas has used them for years now. Back in 2011 I drove down and combined a nice visit with family in San Antonio and then drove back home by way of Dallas and had them crush/destem ~800lbs into my 20G Brutes. They were still cold when I got home that evening. I won many a medal with those wines and that was in 2011 which will go down in infamy as the worst year ever for a grape harvest (cold and rainy) in both CA and WA State.

I came across a company, F. Colavita and Sons, headquartered in Sacramento with a main warehouse near Fresno (about 220 miles from me) and got their price list.

I'm on their mailing list and they look legit!

I would like ot order from them but I live in Nashville so looking for anyone that may like to order together in the area or driving distance.

Ciao!
-johann

That is a fantastic price for FOB to Fresno for Cab Sauv.

I can buy Cabernet grapes for 32.25 at Colavita and using ALL GRAPES - not adding in the juice to save a little money - make 18 gallons for about 280.00. I think I’ll keep my budget the same but make much better and more wine this year. I think a tank of gas and 8 hours drive time will be well spent for this difference.

Latest posts

Back