Supplies are Ordered...bring on the Harvest!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MoreWine is still out of stock on the Opti'Malo and it looks like Lodi doesn't carry it. Is there another product Lodi has that is a good MLB nutrient?

ACTI-ML is what we use. It was out of stock at More Wine but I just got a notification that they now have more in.

http://www.keystonehomebrew.com/shop/microessentials-oenos-ml-nutrient-10-grams.html

I bought this in store. But they also ship packages. Same stuff as opti-malo made by MicroEssentials. Did 2 mlf's in spring (my 1sts), used opti on one and this on the other. No hiccups.

Sidenot: @Boatboy, if you ever found yourself near this shop I recommend a stop. Not sure if you ever end up heading east or not It's huge, attached to a winery, has finished kits on tap while you shop (as well as beer). Just a legit spot.

Last edited:
ACTI-ML is what we use. It was out of stock at More Wine but I just got a notification that they now have more in.

I use Acti-ML as a 'starter', and dose the wine with Opti'Malo for nutrient. Do you guys use any nutrient at all?

I just placed my order for my supplies from More Wine, too. Put my MLB and nutrient in the freezer from last year (unused, still sealed in packages). I'm hoping it is still good for this season.

I was just about to ask about this. What else should be refrigerated besides yeast? Everything I've read says under 77° is fine for most of the nutrient. I never worried about it before, but lodilabs additives and yeast all came in ziplock bags. Morewine items were fully sealed

I have 2 different malo nutrients from last year sealed unrefrigerated. Optimalo seems fine-double bagged. But Microessential malo nutrient is all gummed up--in a single ziplock.

I was just about to ask about this. What else should be refrigerated besides yeast?

I typically only buy what I need for the season. But, ended up with these when my MLF wouldn't start and Craig came over with some dregs from his Lanza zin. Worked wonderfully and I didn't need to use it.

For the powders though, I kinda think moisture is your enemy more than temperature. I had some tannin powder that just turned into clumps in 60% humidity over the course of 6 months.

I use Acti-ML as a 'starter', and dose the wine with Opti'Malo for nutrient. Do you guys use any nutrient at all?

We've just been using it at the start as it can help strengthen the development of bacteria growth under difficult conditions. After that, MLF always finishes without problems.

I've only bottled 15 bottles so far and was using the one with the double levers. I wasn't even looking for a corker. The lady had 3 carboys for $30.00 and said she would throw in a floor corker for an extra $10.00. At the time I didn't know it had so little use. I was way more then pleasantly surprised.

I've only bottled 15 bottles so far and was using the one with the double levers. I wasn't even looking for a corker. The lady had 3 carboys for $30.00 and said she would throw in a floor corker for an extra $10.00. At the time I didn't know it had so little use. I was way more then pleasantly surprised.

You're going to love the floor corker.

Back